Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will stick to posting one pic per day now as that seems to be the most agreeable idea. And i must admit the PTO is not my strong point. Many of us tend to forget just how important it was and there are a lot of military aircraft often overlooked. But enough of me waffling on. Here's my first Pacific based pic. Kawanishi N1K1 kyofu ( allied code : rex ) View attachment 483657
Not much of a roll rating, with those pontoons- how was it armed, I wonder??

Makes me appreciate my 20/10 vision- no color problems, perfect depth perception as well. No glaucoma, no cataracts- a gift indeed. I always wear safety glasses when shooting or hunting, running power tools, doing yard work, etc.

My parents' days.

Tokyo_19450917s.jpg
Tokyo_19480429s.jpg
Osaka_19500618s.jpg
Hiroshima_ 19501119s.jpg
Haneda_19510827s.jpg

the 1950's foto- police women -shooting revolvers- Not WW11 Nambu pistols? Are they, by off chance, copies of our Colt revolvers?? Firing in the single action mode, as evidenced by the position of the hammer(s), and no "Weaver Stance", single handed, off side hand in trouser side pocket. OK on the range with paper targets, not quite right for a combat scenario.

Last edited:
They were genuine Colt's, Hansie as old Nambu's had been abandoned by the Allied forces.
It was a little too early for Japanese to newly produce their own handguns in the 1950s.
Thanks- they sure looked like Colt .38 special revolvers- with a lanyard clip on the bottom of the grip. I have a friend who collects WW11 handguns, he has a few of the Nambu series, but tells me ammo for their 8mm chambering is very hard to find. Someday I may get a chance to shoot one on his range-

Debt consolidation project in the postwar Japan was so quick that people were unable to recognize what was going on well.
It started with new Yen-currency bills on February 16, 1946. People were asked to exchange old bills with new ones by March 2. Besides, block of bank accounts followed on the next day. New property tax was imposed on March 3.
By this policy like a sudden attack, almost prewar debts of Japanese government had been cleared up by 1950.

New_Yen_Bills_19460217.JPG

Debt consolidation project in the postwar Japan was so quick that people were unable to recognize what was going on well.
It started with new Yen-currency bills on February 16, 1946. People were asked to exchange old bills with new ones by March 2. Besides, block of bank accounts followed on the next day. New property tax was imposed on March 3.
By this policy like a sudden attack, almost prewar debts of Japanese government had been cleared up by 1950.

View attachment 485878
All female employees, one at the right side rear of the table is wearing a face mask--hummm-- "dirty money?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back