Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes it looks like the "soap" district of Kumamoto. My wife would only let me window shop there, she said I could not afford anything they had to offer!;)
With the key word 熊本ソープ(Kumamoto soap), target price looks around $100 for half an hour.
The soap as a billboard was banned in my town decades ago.
In any case, you don't have to visit Japan with wife or girl firend IMOH :)

Propaganda magazine by the Greater Japan Islamic Association (大日本回教協会) in 1942.

Nippon_2.jpg
Nippon_3.jpg
Nippon_4a.jpg
Nippon_4b.jpg
Nippon_10.jpg
Nippon_13.jpg
Nippon_16.jpg

Source: Nippon (1942)

1674335493839.png

All except last photo are in Urdu, the last one is in Arabic.

First photo, contains Addresses of several of organisation's offices around the globe. From above, the cities are:

Beijing - Shanghai - Hanoi - Saigon - Bangkok - Manila - Buenos Aires - Berlin

1674335757335.png

Celebration of Conquests

Vast Conquests on the far East fronts by Imperial Japanese Army is being celebrated, February 18, Tokyo.

Unfortunately can't translate 2 small photos on bottom of second picture. My apologies.

Yes. And i do know about muslims taken up arms for the germans. I posted a few pictures remember? However this has nothing to do with the Jews.
But i do not know why islam came to Japan and if it is still there.

View attachment 703327

All except last photo are in Urdu, the last one is in Arabic.

First photo, contains Addresses of several of organisation's offices around the globe. From above, the cities are:

Beijing - Shanghai - Hanoi - Saigon - Bangkok - Manila - Buenos Aires - Berlin

View attachment 703335

Celebration of Conquests

Vast Conquests on the far East fronts by Imperial Japanese Army is being celebrated, February 18, Tokyo.

Unfortunately can't translate 2 small photos on bottom of second picture. My apologies.
Thanks ARTESH for your quick translation which was very helpful to understand the association better.

The Greater Japan Islamic Association

The Greater Japan Islamic Association is an Islamic research and work organization that once existed in the Empire of Japan. It was established in September 1938 with former Prime Minister Senjuro Hayashi as its first chairman, and for seven years until its dissolution in October 1945, it worked to make Islam known to the Japanese people. He carried out public relations activities and also provided opinions on matters such as the management of Muslims in the occupied territories under the guidance of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Greater East Asia.

From the Meiji and Taisho eras, attention was focused on Islam, mainly by the Japanese army, but it was small and sporadic. However, due to the Manchurian Incident, the Muslims in Manchuria and North China became the focus of attention as anti-Han ethnic groups and anti-communist forces. In 1932, the Institute of Islamic Culture, headed by Koji Okubo, was established, and in May 1938, the Tokyo Mosque was established mainly by Tatars living in Japan.

On October 15, 1945 (Showa 20), the Greater Japan Islamic Association was dissolved after Japan's defeat in the war. After its dissolution, Kentaro Omura, who was the managing director of the Greater Japan Islamic Association, newly established the Islamic Association of Japan, which was later succeeded by the Japan Muslim Association and the Japan Islamic Association after Omura's death. In addition, materials held by the Greater Japan Islamic Association were stored at Waseda University at the request of Kentaro Omura.

Source: 大日本回教協会 - Wikipedia

With the key word 熊本ソープ(Kumamoto soap), target price looks around $100 for half an hour.
The soap as a billboard was banned in my town decades ago.
In any case, you don't have to visit Japan with wife or girl firend IMOH :)
$100.00 for a half hour ??
If we're talking about what I think we're talking about , I don't think it would be $100.
It was about 1500-2000 yen when I was in the same area, Kokura, in 1967.
The exchange rate then was 360 yen equaled 1 dollar. So about $4.50 to $ 5.50.
$100 in the middle to late 40's would have been more that what most enlisted men were getting paid a month.
My first paycheck ( for a month) in the USAF was $88.00 in 1965.

I might have seen a few real Geisha girls while in Japan, they certainly weren't dressed like those ladies.

Last edited:
If we're talking about what I think we're talking about , I don't think it would be $100.
$100 in the middle to late 40's would have been more that what most enlisted men were getting paid a month.

I might have seen a few real Geisha girls while in Japan, they certainly weren't dressed like those ladies.
Yes, a true Geisha girl is engaged in such a cultural job as not only singing, dancing but enjoying witty conversation with a guest wearing traditional Kimono. I had no chance but charge could be ten times expensive.

A real Geisha is a respectable, cultured and educated woman with great charm. They were a bit like the old-time airline stewardesses- good- looking, friendly, and nice to be around..

A real Geisha is a respectable, cultured and educated woman with great charm. They were a bit like the old-time airline stewardesses- good- looking, friendly, and nice to be around..
Good point, Neil.
Geisha girls were treated like movie stars till movie came up.

Miss Manryu - one of the most popular geisha girls circa 1920.
Manryu_ca1910.jpg

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/16/60/361660281a101aa7d452b298a3712161.jpg

Unknown but popular geisha girl in the 19th century. Photo by Kozaburo Tamamura.
Unknown_geisha_girl_ca1900.jpg

Source: 『鼓を打つ芸妓の謎』

Tokyo Islamic School introduced to the Japanese people in 1938.

"The total number of Muslims in the world is about 320 million. About 260 million of them live in the Asian continent. Most of these Muslims are an oppressed people but, rather because of this, they are united by their steadfast faith as a unique religious people. Their simple religious spirit nourished under strict discipline, thirsts and strives for a peaceful world for the Muslims themselves will thwart the scourge of the Comintern.

The advent of Manchukuo brought great hope to the two million Muslims in Manchuria. How much joy it must have been for them to realize their own paradise as part of the five tribes there under the unite flag of Manchukuo.

Now, the 50 million Muslims living in China, along with the progress of our holy war, are seeking to secede from the Chiang's regime which has oppressed and exploited them for many years and to fight against communists' invasion. They are trying to make a strong move toward their paradise construction. When our country is making every effort to truly achieve lasting peace in Asia and the East for the sake of the people in Asia, this movement by Muslims in China will be of great significance to our country's continental policy.

Currently, the majority of Muslims living in Japan are Turkish Muslims led by Mr. Mu Ga Kurbangali. Not only they have a heartfelt reverence for our imperial family but the earnestness of learning about Japan as the leader of Asia and striving to grow together with Japan is evident on their shining faces."

8-9.JPG
10.jpg

Source: Photo Weekly (March 1938)

Picture from Emil Weltlich, Chief Shipfitter (CSF) USS Warrick (AKA 89), Aomori occupation 1945.
Notice the column of Warrick crew members in the right background, probably their first trip in Japan.

File0056.jpg

USS Warrick AKA 89 was an Andromeda Class attack cargo whose service included the Philippines, Iwo Jima and Korea.
US WARRICK AKA 69.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back