Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (17 Viewers)

Mitsubishi MC-20 Army Type 100 Transport Airplane the net
Mitsubishi MC-20 Army Type 100 Transport Airplane FACB.png
 
Haven't seen this strange mask before. I must tell you, I was thinking it's an AI-BS. It is not - read the description at the bottom:
8c609f4f4ecaf1a4367fe305a5541f93.jpg

New sand-blasting helmet. Washington, D.C., Oct. 15. Protection against that dreaded disease Silieosis, is assured underground workers with this new sand-blasting helmet developed by William P. Biggs, Safety Engineer of the Navy Department Weighing only 43 ounces the helmet has been tested for nearly a year in various naval stations throughout the country.
Don't know the exact year though.:rolleyes:
Source: Library of Congress
 
Patent records may suggest/provide the year
It's October 15, 1936 as per detailed photo information.
And the disease mentioned in the text I posted with the photo is Silicosis. The mistake could be a typo by the Library or by the original source. I also wondered why a mask is called "helmet" but that's a different story.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back