Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasn't it a twin engine Soviet plane that went missing? 🤔

The first ANT-25(RD-2) was the plane flown by Valery Chkalov, Georgi Baidukov and Alexander Belyakov. It was coded N025 with the inscription "Stalin Route" on the fuselage and landed in Portland, as memo serves.
The plane in the pic above was the Tupolev ANT-25(RD-1) code N025-1 flown by Mikhail Gromov, Andrei Yumashev, and Sergei Danilin from Moscow to a field outside San Jacinto, CA. It was the second ANT-25 coming from USSR to the USA.
These two flights took place in June and July 1937.

Earlier, in August 1935, ANT-25 flown by Z. A. Levanevsky, G. F. Baidukov and W. I. Levchenko took off to land in San Francisco purposely. Due to the oil system failure they had to land on Siberia. And I believe you meant the flight.

The appearance of the N025 and 025-1

ant-25.jpg

View attachment 674610
I was thinking of this airplane, one of which disappeared on a Polar record flight and was never found. I was off by two engines.

:thumbright:

Ah ... the modified Tupolev TB-3 bomber powered by the M-34RN engines initially. Later she got the M-34FRN engines. The plane was adapted to a demonstration flight over the North Pole from Moscow to Fairbanks, Alaska, USA. On 12 August 1937 they took off and a day later during the flight the crew reported the engine troubles at the Alaska area. It was the last message from the six people crew commanding by S.A. Levanevsky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back