Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heres something I didnt know. The Hurricane was originally going to have 4 synchronised Vickers mgs 2 in the nose 2 in the wing roots. You can see a Vickers mounted on this prototype mock up.

That's why just seting the brakes doesn't quite DO it ...

Having sailed through Hurricane Carla in 1968, I have experienced a roll about like that on a small oil tanker (SS Gulfpride; 675 feet long). It isn't comfortable, and a tanker has slight positive buoyancy. On a carrier, with good positive buoyancy, the ride must be VERY seasick-inducing!

That looks like a 25° roll! Not my idea of a fun place to be, but at least they don't have to try to fly off of it!

Yeah, we fly one. But in this case, the pin failed ...

When I read the first sentence, it sounds borderline arrogant to me. NOT intended ...

I meant to just say the pin failed. I have NO idea HOW the pin failed, but I suspect the aircraft had been over-g'd a few times to make THAT happen. The pin itself is NOT a weak-looking unit and the socket is likewise sturdy, too. It had BETTER be when taking 8+ g's at 11,000+ pounds!

Last edited:
An inside view of a USAAF C-47 cargo door wrapped around it's tailplane during flight. The aircraft was conducting a supply drop over Kokoda at the time when it's cargo door flew off.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 181
But if we did that, it would confuse foreigners, who expect us to drive on the right side of the road, which is the left side, 'cos if we drove on the right side, we'd meet foreigners coming the other way, who thought they were on the right side of the road, on the left, not expecting us to be on the right side of the road on the right.
Confused yet?
I am !!

Users who are viewing this thread