Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spotted this in a recent bookazine purchase - I can't locate the Wikipedia article where they got the photo from and my eyes aren't the best, but is that 5 bullet holes in the Doolittle raid and a dead-centre shot through the USS West Virginia?

Attachments

• Jeep that rolled & Neil, Babenhausen March 1962.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
B-17G K8-G (in back) 42-102593 of the 398th Bomb Group. K8-G had one hundred missions to its credit and survived the war. Returned to the US to be scrapped at Kingman Arizona.

View attachment 691786
Thirty-five years ago or so, my first wife and I were driving through Kingman, AZ and I remembered having seen a photo of P-40s stacked up on their noses awaiting scrappers after the war. Maybe the scene in "Best Years Of Their Lives " was filmed there, too- I don't know. I asked where the airfield had been and we were directed to the top of the hill above the city. We stopped and I asked one of the older fellows if that was where all those planes had been scrapped. He said "Yes, it had been a huge operation, pilots flew the planes in, landed, took their logbooks, and walked away." That must have been an emotional moment for many of their pilots & crew members. He said that the first buyers of a lot of surplus aircraft simply drained the high-octane Av gas from the tanks and re-sold them to another buyer who removed the platinum-tipped spark plugs from the engine(s), and then sold them... and so on down the line. Until they were smelted down for the aluminum and steel alloys.

Users who are viewing this thread