Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An OS2U Kingfisher from the USS North Carolina (BB-55) overloaded with rescued aircrews, waits for the USS Tang (SS-306) after taxiing out of Truk lagoon. 1 May 1944.

OS2U_Truk_1May44.jpg

Found this a while ago, the same photo but with different captions. One was something along the lines of "bullet riddled F6F returned to Hawaii"

Capture1.JPG

I always thought that kind of code was used for training squadrons

EDIT: Done did some checking and found a modern version of this aircraft that says...

"Steve Hinton flying Comanche Fighters' Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat over Chino, CA during the 2010 Planes of Fame Airshow. It had just emerged from the paint shop in the colors of Lieutenant Commander Edward "Butch" O'Hare's Hellcat." Gotta hit the books

Last edited:
The caption for this image was "Deck of Akagi seen from Zero"

However, considering that it would be physically impossible for the pilot of an A6M to get a rearward shot like this (unless he had a GoPro), I suspect that the photo was actually taken by the rear gunner of a dive bomber.

I've looked closely at the photo and it appears these may be the B5N type.

Akagi_viewed_from_Zero[wrong].jpg

Several shots of Attack of Pearl Harbor and IJN submarines' operation offshore West Coast introduced in our local book in 1942.
I'm guessing the UFOs of Battle of Los Angeles could have been a prank by these submarines' searchlights.
Just my impression :)

Attack_of_Pearl_Harbor.JPG
Offshore_Westcoast.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back