Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if there was any fraternization between the ranks. I mean, why did the ladies have to wear short skirts to shoot a rifle and march?

Girls were civilian musical dancers of Shochiku Theater in Osaka.
The picture was taken soon after the 2nd Sino-Japanese War had broken out as propaganda to ask Japanese people more attention to their national defense as they were not minding the war which was going on in overseas so much.
Japan was still in peace time for the homeland people.

Last edited:
You are welcome, Thor ! :thumbleft:
Since I joined this forum, I frankly have been being surprised to know how Japan was misunderstood and little known its historical facts by the western countries. Japan was a decent democratic country and Japanese were enjoying the western lifestyle freely until 1940 when Fumimaro Konoe took power as PM and halted the parliamentary democracy asked by the army.

Last edited:
Leonardo da Vinci- "Lady with an Ermine" 1945 and today
UDMi3OA.jpg

"... Fumimaro Konoe"
What is Japanese perception of this man today, Shin, and perhaps you could explain your understanding of the How/Why he came to power. :)
MM

Fumimaro Konoe (1891-1945) was a relative of Emperor Hirohito and a keen nationalist and idealist who longed for Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. He could take power because he looked noble and was loved by a grand old man, Kinmochi Saionji (1849-1940) who had strong influence in the Parliament.

A voluntary puppet of the army is my impression.
He is almost forgotten by Japanese people today because committed suicide when the war was over as a civilian.
Hideki Tojo is more famous as a dictator but Tojo was also a puppet of Imperial GHQ is my opinion.

Last edited:
Was Fumimaro Konoe an "artifact" of Japanese feudalism? ... reading his Wiki bio he doesn't sound very competent or realistic .... it would appear he totally misread the seriousness of so-called Treaty Positions with the USA that were floated around .... believing that they were FDR's priorities when they were just smoke and mirrors

Was Fumimaro Konoe an "artifact" of Japanese feudalism? ... reading his Wiki bio he doesn't sound very competent or realistic .... it would appear he totally misread the seriousness of so-called Treaty Positions with the USA that were floated around .... believing that they were FDR's priorities when they were just smoke and mirrors

His cabinet was ridiculed as "Konoe Shogunate" after all.
Our lesson was "Don't make a mania a leader".

Picture of the day.

imgf4c68529zikezj.jpeg

upload_2016-9-27_11-20-27.png

A Supermarine Spitfire Vc 'Tropical' JK707 MX-P serving with 307th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group operated by 12th USAAF. The regular pilot was 1st.Lt. Carroll A. Prybylo, but when lost it was flown by Capt. Virgil Cephus Fields, Jr. (Source - US Navy, via Library of Congress. Colorized by Paul Reynolds. Historic Military Photo Colourisations)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back