Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On 1 Oct 40, Pvt Jack Bernard and other volunteers in the British Columbia Regt (Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles) were marching smartly down Eighth Street in New Westminster to board a ship and sail off to war. Suddenly, Bernard's 5 year-old son, Warren, broke free from his Mother's grasp and sprinted to take his Dad's hand. An alert Vancouver Daily Province photographer, Claude Dettloff, captured the moment a smiling Dad broke with military drill decorum to take hold of his young son's hand. The picture was soon being published all over north America and was later used on war bonds drives with the caption "Help bring my Daddy home!" Jack Bernard survived the war and was reunited with his son in 1945.

Just to complete the story, here's now-not-so-young Warren standing in the same spot alongside Councillor Lorrie Williams in 2014.

I'm not sure if it has been loctated in Poland. The date is 1941/1942 so it is quite likely it was somewhere in Russia or Balkans... anyway it's an interesting shot.

The date on the Iron Cross indicates the year the decoration was re-introduced by Hitler as the military one with the swastika added in the center .

If you look at the enlarged shot you will notice that the Uffz. Friedrich Kupker died in 1941 or 1942 but not in 1939..

Last edited:
".. German cemetery, Poland"

That information came from the photo file on the jpg .... is it possible that only deceased Iron Cross winners were laid to rest here?
And, Poland was the location of a lot of Herr infrastructure .... training schools .... rest camps ... and East Prussia was now Poland.

True. But the landscape in the background doesn't look familiar. Especially for the East Prussia. The South of Poland could be more possible. But not too many woods in the pic.

Last edited:

I think I found... Please look at the F. Kupker's gravestone plaque and also at the big cross in the backround. There is the 5IR16 and IR16 inscription. It means the soldier was a mamber of the Infanterie Regiment 16 perhaps the 5th Company. The date of the Birthday and the date of his death seen in the pic is accordance with the German record I found here:
Forum Historic.de :: Thema anzeigen - Soldatenfriedhof Gadschikoy

Zum Gedenken Y2216292
Nachname: Küpker
Vorname: Friedrich Fritz
Dienstgrad: Unteroffizier
Geburtsdatum: 21.08.1916
Geburtsort: Oldenburg
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 18.12.1941
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Beljbektal

As I understood the man was killed at Sewastopol- Beljbektal and was buried on the "Gadschikow" cementery, now Pirogowka - Crimea. And now the landscape is fine to me.

Look here: Friedhof Gadschikow

BTW... Пирого́вка ( to 1948 Гаджико́й. In Ukrainian - Пироговка

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread