Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aichi M6A Seiran. Built solely to operate from one of Japans super subs, the l-400.View attachment 490961
Just for the record, the I-400 was actually a class of IJN submarine, "Toku-gata Sensuikan". 18 units were ordered, only three made it to operation: I-400, I-401 and I-402. Of these three, only I-400 and I-401 were used as carriers as I-402 was converted to a tanker. Each I-400 could carry up to three M6A aircraft.

In addition to the I-400 subs, the IJN also had I-13 and I-14 modified to carry two Aichis each.

Yes, i read up on them a couple of years back. The amount of engineering and modifications they had to do im not sure the plan was even worth putting into practice, what with it diverting a lot of resources at a time when the Japanese really couldnt afford to partake in flights of fancy. The aircraft had backward rotating wings to fit into the sub. And they had to develope a way of heating the engine oil on the Aichi so it could take off as soon as it rolled out. Obviously running the engine in the hanger/designated area was both dangerous and outside too slow. I think it was ahead of its time in some aspects but totally flawed in others. A good idea but simply not practical. The chances of sneaking up on the US coast and carrying out what in effect would be nothing more than a bee sting to the Americans was i think highly unlikely and open to attack/disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread