Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"... I can't help but look at the photo and wonder how many of those soldiers survived the ordeal..."
I feel that way about nearly all photos I post of the Germans in the east ... photos keep their memories alive. We do not want to repeat the German mishap (1933 - 1945) but we owe it our understanding of history to acknowledge the incredible military achievements of some German forces.
I have just completed a great biography of William Tecumseh Sherman and I am once again struck by how the Union forces in the west (Mississippi campaigns) fought in a manner that would have served either the Soviets or the Germans very well in WW2. Campaigns of maneuver, par excellence.

tiger-schluessel-jpg.525046
Tiger Schluessel.jpg

"... I can't help but look at the photo and wonder how many of those soldiers survived the ordeal..."
I feel that way about nearly all photos I post of the Germans in the east ... photos keep their memories alive. We do not want to repeat the German mishap (1933 - 1945) but we owe it our understanding of history to acknowledge the incredible military achievements of some German forces.
I have just completed a great biography of William Tecumseh Sherman and I am once again struck by how the Union forces in the west (Mississippi campaigns) fought in a manner that would have served either the Soviets or the Germans very well in WW2. Campaigns of maneuver, par excellence.
I totally agree!
The photos from the opening stages of most wars (Civil War, WWI and WWII) that show the enthusiastic soldiers prior to campaigns that became meat-grinders are particularly haunting.
In regards to the Civil War, I am struck by the similarities between Rommel and Lee, where both had successful campaigns as long as they remained fluid and on the offensive. Once their momentum dwindled, they started suffering losses that they could not recover from.
For Lee, it was Gettysburg, for Rommel, it was the second El Alamein.

I read in some book, long forgotten, that Rommel studied Lee, and then Patton studied Rommel. I am reminded of the recent wars in Iraq when a surrendered Iraqi General was being transported in a Bradley, he commented as to why they had a picture of Rommel posted. A private responded, "If you had studied Rommel, you wouldn't be riding in my track".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back