Picture of the day. (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the pic source: Bundesarchiv

arty_4.jpg

Is this an amphibious version of the 109 I never read about? :-k
That's what they want you to think! Actually it's the newest V-weapon, a zero-length rocket launched fighter that can rise from an explosively created "instant revetment". You can't see the jettisonable rocket motor, as it is obscured by the guys on the ground.

That's what they want you to think! Actually it's the newest V-weapon, a zero-length rocket launched fighter that can rise from an explosively created "instant revetment". You can't see the jettisonable rocket motor, as it is obscured by the guys on the ground.
Wouldn't the back blast from the rocket damage the tail section on takeoff? [-X

Wouldn't the back blast from the rocket damage the tail section on takeoff? [-X
Haven't you ever seen a zero length rocket launch motor, a la F100/F104 experiments and Matador/Regulus missiles? The thrust nozzle is angled downward about 35-40° to provide lift as well as thrust so extended launch rails aren't needed. The water vaporises, protecting the earthen revetment from erosion.
Cheers,
Wes

Haven't you ever seen a zero length rocket launch motor, a la F100/F104 experiments and Matador/Regulus missiles? The thrust nozzle is angled downward about 35-40° to provide lift as well as thrust so extended launch rails aren't needed. The water vaporises, protecting the earthen revetment from erosion.
Cheers,
Wes
I was trying to make a joke, but I will look into that info now that I know.

It was a good joke but most of us old timers remember when zero length launch experiments were news. There is u-tube video of the first trials with F-84s both manned and unmanned. B-2 driver gets in his joke too.
Not that young anymore myself. I'll check out the You Tube thing . Thanks!:wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back