Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

full.jpg

the pic source: Bundesarchiv.

The reason for the carsh wasn't the speed during the final approaching but the altitude. In the film it can be noticed that the main mistake the pilot made was too high flare. As a result the arresting hook missed the first braking cable and at least two next one as well. And this resulted in getting caught up in the crash barrier.

Here a couple of screenshots from the documentary..

View attachment 533796
View attachment 533797
View attachment 533798
View attachment 533804
View attachment 533805
View attachment 533806
View attachment 533811
View attachment 533807

the source of the screenshots:

Though he did flare too high, it appears to me he did catch one of the arresting cables, but it broke.

Yes. it looks like he did. However it is quite difficult to state if the cable was of the arresting system or if it was one of the crash barrier.

View attachment 533779
This Corsair, I'm assuming, was trying to make a carrier landing but was going to fast, ending up with him stuck vertically (it's from a video, that's how I know), and he broke 2 wires in this. To the pilot, I salute you for your not being able to understand that you must land at a certain speed (lol).

Actually if you look at that video closer you'll notice the aircraft in your picture didn't end up on it's nose, it flipped on over onto it's back. Notice the engine folded to the side. That's the aircraft in the beginning of the video.
The aircraft standing on it's nose at the end of the video has the engine still intact with the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back