Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Histomil.com
bundesarchiv_bild_101i-078-3086-31-_russland-_infanterie_auf_dem_marsch-jpg.568117
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-078-3086-31,_Russland,_Infanterie_auf_dem_Marsch.jpg

he Ryan FR-1 Fireball 48233 during trials aboard USS Charger (CVE-30), January 1945 The Ryan FR Fireball was a mixed-power (piston and jet-powered) fighter aircraft designed by Ryan Aeronautical for the United States Navy during World War II. It was the Navy's first aircraft with a jet engine. Only 66 aircraft were built before Japan surrendered in August 1945. The FR-1 Fireball equipped a single squadron before the war's end, but did not see combat. The aircraft ultimately proved to lack the structural strength required for operations aboard aircraft carriers and was withdrawn in mid-1947.
The+Ryan+FR-1+Fireball+48233+during+trials+aboard+USS+Charger+(CVE-30),+January+1945..jpg

Translation?
On the top is the name of the unit "Battery Sperber". Volksfest fuer's WHW means "People's celebration for the Winterhilfswerk". The latter translates as "Winter relief" and was a charitable welfare drive in the Third Reich. Please check Winterhilfswerk des Deutschen Volkes for more information.
For example the postcard below is one of the WHW - propaganda posters.
65b0157c5c3e0bd22b4bb85fc0e4d920.jpg

he Ryan FR-1 Fireball 48233 during trials aboard USS Charger (CVE-30), January 1945 The Ryan FR Fireball was a mixed-power (piston and jet-powered) fighter aircraft designed by Ryan Aeronautical for the United States Navy during World War II. It was the Navy's first aircraft with a jet engine. Only 66 aircraft were built before Japan surrendered in August 1945. The FR-1 Fireball equipped a single squadron before the war's end, but did not see combat. The aircraft ultimately proved to lack the structural strength required for operations aboard aircraft carriers and was withdrawn in mid-1947. View attachment 568228
The Bradley Air Museum in Conn. used to have one of these. A prototype if I remember correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back