Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, you're right about the Kukri, and I remember my father telling me about some of the results he'd seen, after passing through where a Gurkha patrol had been in action at night !
Not sure it is a myth though ( although it probably is), as I knew a couple of Gurkhas, and still see one now and then. The full story is, that if the blade hasn't drawn blood, then the user has to cut himself with it before returning it to the sheath.
I asked this Gurkha if this was true, and he smiled and said yes - but then, he would, wouldn't he ?!!
Quite annoyed that the full set of the three different size blades I was given many years ago was stolen.

75 years ago today. June 28 1945. B-24M-30-FO 44-51928, the very last of 18,482 B-24 Liberator bombers to be built, is rolled out at Ford's Willow Run plant in Michigan.

View attachment 586457

That is the only part of the plant still standing, now being used as the Yankee Air Force Hangar, thanks for posting it! They are still looking for a Ford Built B-24 to put back in it!

Fuel tanks of the B-24 Liberator "Little Warrior" with the 861st Bomb Squadron explode over Fallersleben, Germany, after being hit by anti-aircraft fire, Jun 29 1944.
https://captain-price-official.tumblr.com/post/622304702038687745/
Crew consisted of Lieutenants J.H. Hansen (pilot), Lt. S.A Benson (copilot), J. Levy, M.M. Stich, Tech. Sgt's V.J. Polzin, B.B. Gomillion, Staff. Sgt's C. Aidala, W.A. Boykowski, S.G. Haskell Jr and J.E. Sanders.
The fire caused the plane to decentigrate at around 10,000 ft, with all of the crew except Lt. Benson dying in the crash. Eight of the crew were found dead on the ground by German authorities that morning. The ninth crew member's body was discovered in a field, badly burned on 11 Jul 144, and buried with the rest of the crew of "LITTLE WARRIOR."
Co-pilot Benson actually survived the explosion and was ejected by explosion with his chute, having landed unharmed he surrendered to a flak gun crew and was placed in the charge of a Hitler youth leader Helmut Lippman who riding a bike, shepherded him, to be handed over to local authorities. En-route Lippman shot Benson in the back 3 times with a small calibre handgun. Upon arrival in the local town Lippman left 2Lt Benson with Air raid wardens whilst he went off to phone the local police, whereupon 2Lt Benson was beaten to death by the wardens. Post war Lippman and the wardens were brought to trial for the murder of a POW. Lippman was sentenced to death by hanging, but unfortunately had his sentence committed to life imprisonment.

Curious about the mustang pic, how did it crash. Tracks aren't damaged behind it which if belly landed you would think it hit( maybe bounced over?) didn't come the other way either as trees not damaged

Users who are viewing this thread