Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder how this happened? It does not look like a landing mishap, based on the location of those other airplanes. And do those guys really think they can pick up that 9,000 plus lb airplane?

F6FUpsideDown-1.png

I wonder how this happened? It does not look like a landing mishap, based on the location of those other airplanes. And do those guys really think they can pick up that 9,000 plus lb airplane?

View attachment 705632
IMHO they are pushing the Hellcat not lifting her. One can see some carts under her nose. This probably happened during landing (to the left of the photographed area) and they pushed the a/c to the back of the deck (where the rest of the parked planes are).
Similar accident with a Wildcat here:
tumblr_nlleapJspZ1tqk7p3o4_1280.jpg

The parked planes are at the end of the deck, the crashed one - at the end of the landing zone.

Screenshot_2023-02-05-18-32-15-01_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

Saleh Helmy's Aerogypt Mk. I "Safety Plane" with the high lift aerofoil and air-brake on top of fuselage in a raised position. The egyptian engineer continued to make improvements and modifications during the war years.

IMHO they are pushing the Hellcat not lifting her. One can see some carts under her nose. This probably happened during landing (to the left of the photographed area) and they pushed the a/c to the back of the deck (where the rest of the parked planes are).
Similar accident with a Wildcat here:
View attachment 705666
The parked planes are at the end of the deck, the crashed one - at the end of the landing zone.
Didn't the crash barriers installed on straight deck aircraft carriers to stop runaway landing aircraft with broken tailhooks, etc. sometimes flip the aircraft over?

Didn't the crash barriers installed on straight deck aircraft carriers to stop runaway landing aircraft with broken tailhooks, etc. sometimes flip the aircraft over?
Yes that sometimes happened, and while the position of the F6F on the deck, with lowered flaps also point to a landing accident, the fact that only 1 of the 3 propeller blades is damaged (it looks like it was pointing straight down and contacted the deck when the A/C nosed over) I cannot think of a scenario when landing on an aircraft carrier that the propeller would not be turning?
It almost leaves me to conclude that it was a handling incident of some sort. Maybe the main langing gear caught on something while it was being pushed forward, possibly even the crash barrier? I am really at a loss to explaing the limited damage to the prop, landing gear, and the fact I cannot see the tailhook extended.

It almost leaves me to conclude that it was a handling incident of some sort.
Yes, I was thinking about that, too. But the flaps are down and I think they would only be so if it was landing. On the other hand, only one prop blade appears to be bent, and that probably could only occur if the airplane fell on it without the engine running.

I was thinking the handling issue would be after the F6F landed, the wire was disconnected, and the engine shut down. Then the deck crew was pushing it forward.

So in my head it was after the F6F just landed! I saw some odd things happen on flight decks in the late 1970's. But they were somewhat safer place to be compared to the 1940's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back