Picture of the day. (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crack open a history book, perhaps - Japan was an Ally of western powers until the military Hawks took power.

I assume he is referring to the fact that Japan was waging a war of aggression on its neighbors since the early 1930s, and the countries that were being occupied and pillaged would disagree that Japan was a "decent democracy well into the 1940s."

One has to take both the good and the bad regarding ones history, and not ignore the bad parts just because it does not go with the narrative (something many nations and people need to remember).

Western historians seem to ignore the Russia/Soviet threats in the Far East of the early 20th century.
Without understanding this background, they would not be able to realize why Japan fought Russia, occupied Korea, built Manchuquo and invaded China.

Like I said, many need to remember their history. Not just Japan. The West as well.

But that still does not change the fact that Japan invaded much of Asia and subjected their peoples to both terrible and unwanted conditions and suffering.

Japan is not some innocent lil country that should get a pass (it already got one in 1945/1946). Sorry my friend.

Japan can gloss over that all they want, and think they were justified in doing so. Fact remains, regardless of the background, they were not justified in raping and pillaging other peoples/nations (no nation ever is).

Note, I do not judge the Japanese people today for this. Just like I don't judge the Germans today, or even the US for is past history. Japan has again become an honorable and great nation worthy of its place in the global community.

We all should accept what happened, and learn from it, and that includes the backgrounds that led to what occurred. By not understanding the background, history will repeat itself.

I have only corrected sfg's mixed knowledge about Japan as it looked somewhat offensive to me.

Well he was not wrong per se. Those countries certainly have something to say about whether Japan was a decent democracy ib the 1940s when they were being invaded by Japan in the 1930s.

Everything is subjective. To the Japanese people at home I am sure it was a decent democracy and life was good, but put yourself in the shoes of the invaded people. What do you think they thought. I think that is what sfg is alluding to. ;)

Well he was not wrong per se. Those countries certainly have something to say about whether Japan was a decent democracy ib the 1940s when they were being invaded by Japan in the 1930s.

Everything is subjective. To the Japanese people at home I am sure it was a decent democracy and life was good, but out yourself in the shoes of the invaded people. What do you think they thought. I think that is what sfg is alluding to. ;)
You look persistant, Chris :)
Same thing is happening in Okinawa since 1945 though American people in the homeland would not be aware of it well.

You look persistant, Chris :)
Same thing is happening in Okinawa since 1945 though American people in the homeland would not be aware of it well.

While I am sure Okinawan's would prefer the US to leave, and rightfully so, I'm not sure I would compare the US military's presence in Okinawa to what Japan was doing from 1931 to 1945.

How many Okinawan's are being lined up in front of pits and executed by US service members. How many Okinawan's are being tortured by US service members? How many Okinawan families are being torn apart and used as slave labor? How many are being systemically starved to death? How many are being used for medical experiments and chemical or biological warfare testing? How many are forced into sexual slavery?

Crimes committed by US service members in Okinawa today, while they certainly occur, are neither systemic or endorsed by the US government, and they pale in comparison to the atrocities the Japanese military undertook under orders from their military commanders and government.

Sorry Shinpachi, my friend, your example is not the same or a very good one.

Shinpachi, I am sorry if this seems harsh to you. I have nothing but respect for you, and the people of Japan today but Japan gets no pass for his history (just like no country should). When someone glosses over negative history, I will call it out.

That also does not mean the majority of Japanese people during WW2 were bad people. I am sure most wanted nothing more than to live their lives in peace. Innocent people should take no blame for the actions of their government.

Thanks Chris, I hope this photo will conclude the talk :)
Okinawa under substantial occupation for 78 years.

Okinawa_in_agony.JPG

Source: Okinawa Photo Report 1961-1970 (1970)

Thanks Chris, I hope this photo will conclude the talk :)
Okinawa under substantial occupation for 78 years.

View attachment 747313
Source: Okinawa Photo Report 1961-1970 (1970)

Absolutely Shinpachi. As I said I am sure that the occupation is not easy or wanted, but it still pales in comparison to…

IMG_1214.jpegIMG_1215.jpegIMG_1216.jpegIMG_1217.jpegIMG_1218.jpegIMG_1219.jpeg

And I will leave it at. There is nothing more to add to the discussion.

Interesting, Chris. May I prepare some photos of Hiroshima and Nagasaki too?

Seriously? Nobody denies the bombings of Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or how horrific they were, or that there was not great suffering afterwards. It is definitely a dark period in both our countries histories.

There is a debate about the necessity and even the motives of the bombings, but that changes nothing about Japan's own history.

While there is an attempt to justify the bombings, there is no attempt to pretend they did not take place.

I keep seeing this stuff. Can it be switched off?
1700147219726.jpeg

A Tiger in a forest .. the Das Reich SS panz. division.

View attachment 362139
This an aircraft website?
.... when you combine the efforts of the Party ... Germans after all, who were camera-crazy .... and the countless military personnel who sent pictures home ... it isn't surprising that the Eastern Front, in particular, was so well and so candidly photographed, IMO. And photos immortalize ordinary, everyday people in a wonderful way. This thread, in its randomness and photographic precision has become a kind of walking tour, a ramble of the entire conflict-period 1933-1945 .... every picture offers a surprise.
Except it's supposed to be about aircraft
No, it isn't. It's a soviet S-65 Stalinec tractor. To be honest I consider scratch building of a 1/35 model of the vehicle.
I keep seeing this stuff throughout this tread, can it be switched off?

There it is again!
1700147305313.jpeg

I keep seeing this stuff. Can it be switched off?
View attachment 747433

This an aircraft website?

Except it's supposed to be about aircraft

There it is again!
View attachment 747435
You don't have to read the off topic stuff.
There are plenty of threads devoted to WW2 aircraft - development, performance, operations, modeling, etc.
If something doesn't interest you, just scroll on past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back