Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Overhead left side view of four U.S. Navy RH-53D Sea Stallion helicopters in flight during search and rescue (SAR) operations, Chesapeake Bay, 9 December 1981.

Overhead+left+side+view+of+four+U.S.+Navy+RH-53D+Sea+Stallion+helicopters+in+flight+during+sea...jpg

A view of Durandal concrete penetration missiles mounted on an USAF F-111 aircraft, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, 11 December 1981. The French Matra Durandal system was very effective at tearing up airfield runways. A simple crater in a runway could be just filled in, so the Durandal uses two explosions to displace the concrete slabs of a runway, thus much more difficult to repair. However, the low level flight profile required exposed the attacking aircraft to heavy ground fire. It was used by the USAF in Desert Storm, delivered by F-111E's of the 20th Fighter Wing operating out of Turkey. 20th Wing flight commander Captain George Kelman said "there is nothing better at destroying a runway than a Durandal."

A+view+of+Durandal+concrete+penetration+missiles+mounted+on+an+USAF+F-111+aircraft,+Eglin+Air+...jpg

Anti-submarine warfare aircraft, old and new. A U.S. Navy Lockheed P2V Neptune with a newer PV-3 (later P-3) Orion in flight over water, 4 January 1962.

View attachment 653697
There were P2V's stationed at Naval Air Station New York near where I was growing up. I would watch them every time they flew overhead. I saw the blue exhaust flames. Just like Martin Caidin wrote about.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back