Pictures of Cold War aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The KC-97 is at top speed and the fighters are just above stall speed.
Yeah the KC-97 had two jets installed to help and it didn't help much. The 97 goes into a shallow dive at top speed and the 106 is barely getting enough air over that delta wing and the more fuel she get the heavier she gets and the more airspeed she needs! The PACAF tactical fighter had the same issue with the KB-50's.

a U.S. Air Force NKC-135A Stratotanker Airborne Laser Laboratory (ALL) aircraft and an A-7 Corsair II chase aircraft over the
Pacific Missile Test Center range, Naval Air Station, Point Mugu, California, 27 April 1983. The plane will be used to test targets.

I admit that my first thought was 'why', as in, why spend the time converting it in the first place.

I think it had alot to do with politics in the procurement process, I agree it probably would have been better to buy a purpose built generator, some times it is easier to get the aproval for making use of surplus equipment, even if it only does the job 1/2 as well, and only slightly cheaper.

If I remember correctly the biggest issue with it was idiots like me cornering it to fast! I never tipped it over but it did have "training Wheels" installed in the back to help with tipping, but they did not eliminate the issue.

Hard to say what was the motivation for something that was done 70+ years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread