pieces under the wings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that you mention the Dauntless, I just saw this plane in a Mexican comedy movie that came out in 1947. When I saw it I thought it was an SBD, but when I looked more closely I realized it's not. Obviously it should have been made in the USA, but what is it called?
A+ Gallery.jpg

One more thing, this plane also appears in the film. Alli is said to fly for 24 hours. I don't know the model of the plane (in the movie they just call it "special"), but I don't think a plane from that time would have enough fuel to fly a whole day, or was it possible?
A+ Gallery_1.jpg

That's the Beechcraft AT-11 Kansan which served as a light bomber and small transport aircraft for FAM.

Cruising speed about 150 mph
Range - 745 miles

IMHO it couldn't fly all day long although was called "special".

I didn't know there were 6 engine planes. The biggest plane I know of is the 4-engine B-29. What is the approximate average time for 6-engine planes?

I didn't know there were 6 engine planes. The biggest plane I know of is the 4-engine B-29. What is the approximate average time for 6-engine planes?
The German Blohm & Voss BV222 flying boat had a ferry range of 3,800 miles.
It's cruise speed (on average) was 190mph, so it could remain aloft for about 20 hours.
Maritime patrol missions, where it was carrying weapons and such, would see it's maximum range reduced, but that still meant being airborne for quite a while.

That far into the flap, I don't think they'd do anything aerodynamically. IMO they're there for lightening and/or access to bolts/rivets.
They're not blown flaps, so there's little or no meaningful airflow there.

It's a standard lightening technique for aircraft and many other applications. You can see it in aluminum semi-beams in recent homes and offices.

Not sure if the holes were to save weight or to create more "disturbance" to the airflow when fully extended?
Just to reduce weight and add stiffness - this features are located in aerodynamic shadow of the flaps - none or neglible effect for aero performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back