Pilot convicted of recklessly operating aircraft for buzzing Santa Monica Pier

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
A pilot and movie producer who startled beachgoers by buzzing the Santa Monica Pier in a Soviet-era military jet was convicted Thursday of recklessly operating an aircraft.

A Los Angeles County Superior Court jury found that David G. Riggs, 48, violated a rarely used section of the state public utilities code designed to protect life and property from careless and reckless pilots.

Judge Harold Cherness is scheduled to sentence Riggs on Monday. The misdemeanor charge carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Full story below
Pilot convicted of recklessly operating aircraft for buzzing Santa Monica Pier - latimes.com

I agree. After throwing the book at Doug Gilliss, this guy got off REAL easy, unless the revoke his pilot's license.

SPOT ON!

And Gilliss is on his 3rd appeal and feels pretty confident he's going to be vindicated although its been a rough road for him. We talk about once a week, his spirits are high and we has shown a lot of class and perseverance.

Good to hear, Joe! :thumbleft:

The sentence is fair for the Santa Monica guy. I firmly believe the judge should impose the sentence as written in the law....one count for each person on the pier or in the water or on nearby streets or shopping or eating nearby. After all, they all felt their lives were in danger. Its only fair.

I gotta think that Doug being grounded this long is more than ample punishment for what boils down to an administrative error.

Let him know I send along my best and am hoping for a positive outcome on the next appeal.

Thanks for the support guys. I spoke to him last night. Hope to see him in the air flying again.

Ironically I saw his old plane yesterday. Its racing at Reno this year in the Jet class. We have a whole bunch of stock aircraft running.

But he still keeps his pilot's license???
That's what is in question. The original article said the City of SM was going to suspend his license. (We know they can't do that). I believe he's appealing his original revocation and he has a Canadian license as well, so it seems he can still fly. The FAA should again seek emergency revocation over this conviction.

I like some of the comments made about him at the bottom of the article.

How was he able to hold a pilots licence?

Riggs' criminal history, including federal convictions for wire fraud, bank fraud and passport fraud for which he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Down here, that would lead to you being deemed to not be a "fit and proper person" and effective loss of licence.

I'd hope that the FAA would revoke his licence, they certainly have reason to.

How was he able to hold a pilots licence?
Although he had convictions as long as they are non drug related I think he was able to petition to be issued a license

Down here, that would lead to you being deemed to not be a "fit and proper person" and effective loss of licence.

I'd hope that the FAA would revoke his licence, they certainly have reason to.

I'm hoping as well - although he appealing it, the city of Santa Monica doesn't mess around with things like this. I see one chance for appeal and into the slammer he goes.

I should think so too! An idiot, of 'less than honourable' status, gets off lightly, whilst Doug gets it in the neck!!??
Bl**dy ridiculous!
I don't know Doug personally (of course), but please give him my regards and assure him of my support, if you would Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back