Pilots and their Pets (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

two pics from Spitfire II the Canadians by Rogert Bracken
first one is Whiskey, mascot of 401 Sqdrn in J.K Fergusons spitfire IX YO F.
second is 609 Sqdrn playing cricket, doesnt say puppies name

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 198
hofer_duke.jpg

Ralph( Kidd) Hoffer and Duke 4th FG Debden
Hoffer would often take Duke flying with him sitting him on his lap. When Jim Goodson was giving new pilots extra training before they went into combat, Hoffer and Duke would pull up alongside in close formation with the new guy with Hoffer ducked down so only Duke was visible.

just a question....what is that on the wing where the dog is standing? never saw anything like that before....some sort of anti slip walkway??

I haven't seen one or at least noticed one until I found the image. I would imagine it would be used to prevent damage to the wing surface and paint which was used to provide a smooth a surface as possible to aid laminar air flow

I haven't seen one or at least noticed one until I found the image. I would imagine it would be used to prevent damage to the wing surface and paint which was used to provide a smooth a surface as possible to aid laminar air flow
My guess
based on the same smooth surface, is that it's an anti-slip mat for ground crew working on the engine

I doubt designers were expecting laminar flow at the wing root (turbulence from the prop disc)

like magnu i have never seen anything like that before...while i am no historian..i have seen a LOT of 51 pics/videos. i like it when something new pops up!! might be something the crew made..or was used at a certain base...interesting nonetheless.

I think I've got it
it revolves, it's a treadmill for the dog.
Hoffer would close the canopy on the lead, fly combat ops and walk the dog at the same time.
Archived Luftwaffe reports would appear to confirm this.

Some from the 355th FG - 'Yank' the 354FS mascot, plus pics of 358FS pilot Warth and his "Thunder's" puppies - father as yet not recalled or perhaps never certified..

Attachments

• 358 Hoffman and Warth with Thunders pups [hovde].jpg
    358 Hoffman and Warth with Thunders pups [hovde].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 354 Mighty Yank on WRU [moseley].jpg
    354 Mighty Yank on WRU [moseley].jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 354 Graham and Bulldog Yank_Jan1945 [marshall].jpg
    354 Graham and Bulldog Yank_Jan1945 [marshall].jpg
    33 KB · Views: 165
  • 354 CO James Duffy with Yank [ethell and sloan].jpg
    354 CO James Duffy with Yank [ethell and sloan].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 172
Credit for the following photo goes to Wild Bill Crump. John "Wild Bill" Crump flew P-47s and P-51s with the 356th FG. He had a pet coyote named Jeep that actually flew with Bill on five missions!

Attachments

• 0060.jpg
    0060.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 174
Heres an infamous pic - anybody know why?

Attachments

• terrier.jpg
    terrier.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Here's the 2 mascots from my dads B-24 training squadron from 1943

Attachments

• training squadron.jpg
    training squadron.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 166
  • training squadron1.jpg
    training squadron1.jpg