Please Identify P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JTchicago

Recruit
Sep 13, 2010
This is a picture of my father on the wing of a P51 at an airfield in Wurnburg, Germany; 1945. I believe he was with the 100th Airdrome formerly at the Base Air Depot 2, Warton, Eng. Facts are pretty sketchy as he is having trouble recalling. All I have is what was written on the back of the image; 'Wurnburg, Germany'.

Any input on the aircraft, pilot would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

OnDottiesWingSepia2bcopy.jpg

Last edited:
looks like the call number is either C 0 - ?, C O - ?, or C Q - ?. straight colors on the nose....my quickie search came up with nothing but i am sure the guys here will sort it out pretty quick.

I've found a number of P-51's named "Dottie" but they are all painted in a ddifferent way. Still searching.

Ive blown it up and it looks more like a "G" and an "O" or"Q" on the tail is what looks like a "y" or "g"
and a cartoon of a mans head with a hat.

I think the most likely Squadron Code is "GQ" belonging to the 355th FS.

CQ and GO are bomber squadrons and I don't have a CO in me few referecnes. Besides, the first letter looks like a G to me.

I can't find any "Wurnburg" on Google Earth or in my Atlas but the 355th German bases, according to Wiki, were:

Mainz-Finthen Airdrome (ALG Y-64), Ober-Olm, Germany, c. April 4, 1945
Ansbach Airdrome, Germany (ALG R-82), May 1, 1945
Herzogenaurach Airdrome , Germany (ALG R-29), c. May 15, 1945 – February 15, 1946

{EDIT} Nose would have been a solid blue colour at that time, which could also be a clue to your pic.

Last edited:
I believe Erich and Drgndg are very familiar with the 355FG. You might want to PM them Chicago. I believe they are members of the 355FG Association.

the prop and nose band are blue the code is GQ, Dottie is from the 9th AF 355th sqdn, 354th fighter group the "Pioneer Mustang" group

the squadron badge of the brown faced bulldog with yellow helmet and wings is on the tail. in May of 45 it was at Ansbach.

I have much on the 354th Mustang grp it was not too hard to spot, even thought I had the pilot of Dottie pegged but ..................alas. the fg started it's career in my state flying P-39's before off to England where it's P-51B's really started to make a dent in the LW in December 43

Sorry, I have been away helping that 89 year old fella on the P51.

Thanks to all you gents! your input is GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks to ERICH!

Blessings!

I believe Erich and Drgndg are very familiar with the 355FG. You might want to PM them Chicago. I believe they are members of the 355FG Association.

The Mustang is a 355FS/354FG ship during occupation in summer 1945.

The 354FG had 353/355/356FS the 355FG had 354/357 and 358FS. Both thses groups were activated late 1942.

The Mustang is a 355FS/354FG ship during occupation in summer 1945.

The 354FG had 353/355/356FS the 355FG had 354/357 and 358FS. Both thses groups were activated late 1942.

Thanks very much, drgondog! :)

the prop and nose band are blue the code is GQ, Dottie is from the 9th AF 355th sqdn, 354th fighter group the "Pioneer Mustang" group

the squadron badge of the brown faced bulldog with yellow helmet and wings is on the tail. in May of 45 it was at Ansbach.

Hmm i thought the 352nd FG were the "Blue Nose Bodney" or is it the entire group that the fall under is blue nose also?

Would this be what you are speaking of, Erich?

355fs354fgLEATHERzTN.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back