Plz i need some help i ruined my b29 monogram

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Orange peel can have a number of causes. Ambient temperature - colder temps encourage the formation of orange peel. Spray in a warm room 75F or so
Thick Paint - either the paint itself is too thick or you are spraying too heavy a coat. Thin your paint, about like the viscosity of milk.
Spray a thin, light coat. Allow to dry. Pant another thin, light coat. Allow to dry. Repeat as many times as necessary.
The only other suggestion I can make is to use a LACQUER model paint in a rattle can. The hot solvents used in lacquer paints actually react with the plastic a bit almost acting like a glue. Again THIN - LIGHT coats overlapping about 1/3 or so of the previous coat and keep your distance 8 inches at least. Lacquers also cure quickly so the chances of a thick uncured layer are minimal.
Lastly the hot solvents used in lacquers need plenty of ventilation and wear a surgical mask when you spray

Hi Justine..

Sorry for my absence but my hospital stay had to be prolonged. Unfortunately... But I got back home today and we can try to get your model painted. All advices here are great and none of these guys here is going to make fun of you and your work. They just try to help you. However the problem is the using of different kind of paints. These rostoleum paints aren't recommended for modelling. Therefore it might be difficult to work with them. Judging by the pic you posted the paint doesn't peel off as it happens to many other kinds of paints used by modellers. The trouble is the paint that seems to be not cured fully. It happens to the such paints for some reason often . Believe me I have a couple of lifeboats for a ship model I painted with Humbrol enamels and then applied a clear gloss varnish. For the purpose I used a can of similar one to the rostoleum paints in a spray . I did that about ten years ago. And you know what, these are stil tacky , even today Just the gloss varnish was either old or storaged incorrectly. That happens to these dedicated colours for modelling too.Therefore I don't think it is a "fault" of the Tamiya masking tape. If you want you may do an experiment. Take a fresh piece of the Tamiya tape and stick it to the area painted grey at the wing top, in the same way you did that to the silver one. Then try to unstick it. Just wonder if the dark grey paint can peel off like the silver one . could you check that?
But get back to your model. If you are still going to get the model painted we may try to do it together. But it has to be done slowly and gradually. Unfortunately I can't be there to keep my eye on you working and help with painting directly. So it is very important to chat before the next step can be done.I may ask you about many things if the info is needed for making all clear, And the same at your end just ask. If you agree I'm at your disposal.

No I'm not mocking you, just trying to help. I guess I missed your sarcasm. My point is that sometimes it's better to stop throwing good money after bad and spend your money on the right thing.

Good luck.
I apologize for my nastiness before. I never talk to people like that I'm sorry. I've been sick and no sleep..and just spent hours on stupid Facebook ranting about my pro gun beliefs and I was criticized for it and even banned. Anyway sorry . If I was smart I'd throw it away

Thank you so much! that's a huge help .I appreciate it. Happy Easter

No problem. We all have our days. I see doctor Wojtek is back to help. It's better to benefit from his knowledge and patience than get multiple responses so I will bow out and stay on the side lines. I really hope this project works out for you.

Thank you my dear wurger. I hope you are well. I just got out of hospital as well . I've been really sick and I just apologized to the other guy for being irritable and out right nasty to him. I won't be working on the plane for about a week. I need the right paint . Before I buy I will ask you and anyone else if what I'm about to buy is ok.
I'll have to buy more thinner as well. So let me know if I need anything else and I won't start unroll I talk to you.
Thank you so much and ALSO to everyone here who has been helping me so much
Have a nice Easter

Happy Easter to you and yours ! I hope you are fine now and the hospital staying helped with getting better.

Glad you decided to keep the work up. If you still want to use the rustoilum paints you may use the B-29 as the object for training. There is nothing to lose. If you do, please post a couple of pics to show me how it looks like now. I can premediate the steps for working on the model. The more good quality of images is the better work can be done. Also I would like to see which rustoilum paints you are going to use. Of course post shots of these cans to present me them.

Thanks . I'll send you pics then but yea as of now This is just a learning project now . Being that takes pressure off of me as well .When I'm ready I'll give you a shout and send you everything I got as far as tools, supplies and what I'm about to purchase .

Not to undercut Wojtek in any way but stick with paint specifically designed for plastic models rather than Rustoleum. The Rustoleum spray itself is designed with a heavy, wide fan spray designed for large areas. IMHO it is not suitable for a small plastic model.
Try a Tamiya rattle can LACQUER paint either from their TS line like TS30 SILVER LEAF or TS83 METALLIC SILVER. There is also an AS line designed for model aircraft, AS12 is BARE METAL SILVER.
After all that your model has been through the integrity of the very plastic is probamatical.

You sir are a master craftsman with paper.

Do not throw it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep at it and consider it a learning experience. That way if you ever get another one, you'll know what not to do. Never let frustration cause a rash decision.

OK.

Thank you. I've had been told so Maney suggestions on paint But since I had money issues I've tried to make the wrong paint work. I found a nice guy on ebay who has a store and is loaded with all the kind of paint for modeling. He has testors chrome enamal spray but I also seen the lacquer chrome and I rememberd you and others said lacquer .I want the chrome for the b29 and silver for b17. I'm about to buy but just wanted to check in quick before I do. Thx

Hi Justine,

Of course you may stay with the rustoilum paints. No problem I would say. That's your choice. I think it is possible to get a decent final effect using them. But it has to be obtained in a little bit different way from the one used with the dedicated paints. However I'm not sure if the Chrome is a good choice because I haven't seen any war-time B-29 shining in the way. Generally the paint should be the aluminium/silver colour of a grey tone. In other words the paint should be semi-gloss or semi-matt if you prefere.

Well I had to strip the plane 4x because I can't seem to get a nice layer without the orange peal look. I've tried spraying in so Maney different ways . I just don't like it. On my first try I did get testors silver and that looked worse. I will not try the chrome anymore. I'll do the aluminum silver like . I guess.. I really need to get the correct paint specifically for models and I HAVE to make it work. So let's have this b29 as a test plane as you suggested before. I'll get the paint and I'll post pictures and I'll walk through this step by step. I don't think my b29 has much plastic left on it lol. tonight I guess I'll strip it again. I just got 2 bottles of paint thinner lol

OK. But please don't rush. If you make a step please stop and come here to show the effect and discuss the next one. The stripping of the test B-29 is a good idea. Just try to make that gently in order to not much of plastic sand down. Also please show me what paints you are going to use. Pics are welcome of course. This will be the first step OK?

Users who are viewing this thread