Polish Authorities to Detonate 12,000 Pound British Tall Boy Bomb from World War II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I read the part about bringing in the German authorities I looked up the area on Google Maps and saw that the canal comes within 1.5 miles of the Germany-Poland border. If they are seriously worried about the blast at that distance - yikes!!

For some reason, this Gary Larson cartoon sprang to mind:

Gary+Larson+%2528uno+scherzetto%2529.gif

When I read the part about bringing in the German authorities I looked up the area on Google Maps and saw that the canal comes within 1.5 miles of the Germany-Poland border. If they are seriously worried about the blast at that distance - yikes!!
Germans have a lot of experience in this for obvious reasons.

wow...that's something you don't want laying around.
I wish the article said how they were planning to detonate it.
I would think that detonating it under water would create more of a blast (and possible damage) because of hydraulic pressure than if they had it hanging in the air from a gantry.

I don't think so. Water absorbs the shock of blasts rather well. The Dambusters is a particular example. Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb had to slide down the wall of the dam because even modest separation between it and the concrete would result in the water cushioning the dam from the blast.

Actually, the dam busters were counting on the hydraulic pressure to damage the dam.

Look at how many warships had their hulls buckled "near misses", either by skip-bombing or by dive-bombing.
Water under pressure can be harder than concrete.

The destructive force of the dam buster bomb was because it stopped short of the dam, sank and detonated, using the advantage of hydraulic shockwaves, which amplified the explosion, to fracture the dam.

Depth charges were designed to do the same. They were not designednfor contact the submarine, they were designed to detonated NEAR it, which used hydraulic amplification to buckle the hull and sink the sub.

When an explosion occurs under water, it is amplified through hydraulic compression. If the bomb is against the object (concrete, steel, etc.) the force of the blast projects outward. If the explosion occurs close to the object (concrete, steel, etc.) the blast is amplified in all directions, the close proximity of the object to the blast taking the full brunt of the amplified blast, typically causing immediate failure of the object/structure.

Last weekend we went for walk on the Ashley Walk Bombing Range...an old WW2 bombing range in the New Forrest, specifically to find the Tallboy crater.

It's big...35 feet deep and 135 feet across....oh, and there's now a tree growing in the middle of it :). Couldn't get a decent pic from ground level as it's sooo big !. Standing in the bottom of the crater, there's a sense of unimaginable power being used to shift a good few hundred tons of earth !!

They also dropped a few Grand Slam's but they where filled in afterwards.

Check out the link to the range here
Bombing Range

Will be going back in the next few weeks for a further walk around taking photo's of bl**dy great big holes in the ground :)

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2211.PNG
    IMG_2211.PNG
    428.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 123
The destructive force of the dam buster bomb was because it stopped short of the dam, sank and detonated, using the advantage of hydraulic shockwaves, which amplified the explosion, to fracture the dam.

Depth charges were designed to do the same. They were not designednfor contact the submarine, they were designed to detonated NEAR it, which used hydraulic amplification to buckle the hull and sink the sub.

When an explosion occurs under water, it is amplified through hydraulic compression. If the bomb is against the object (concrete, steel, etc.) the force of the blast projects outward. If the explosion occurs close to the object (concrete, steel, etc.) the blast is amplified in all directions, the close proximity of the object to the blast taking the full brunt of the amplified blast, typically causing immediate failure of the object/structure.

It did not diminish the effect of a depth charge, if it exploded in contact to a sub's hull. In fact a Hedgehog bomb, which only exploded if it hit, had only 1/10 of the explosive charge compared to a standard British depth charge. And the Hedgehog bomb was capable to sink a sub. A DC with 10 times the amount of explosive than a HH bomb could kill a sub if it exploded about clearly under 10 m/33 ft from sub's hull but nearer was better. During my demolition training as a junior sapper NCO in the Finnish Army we were trained to put explosive charges in contact to whatever we were blowing up, also when the explosive charges were put underwater.

In the case of Upkeep (the Dambuster bomb) the backspin, besides helping skipping, kept the sinking bomb very near or in contact to the dam wall.

Ps. the bottom mines, a type of sea mine, used big gas bubble generated during its explosion to make the harm, they were deployed in shallow water to be effective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back