Pop Quiz on Old Car Songs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20. Maybelline had a Coupe Deville, The Singer had a Mustang Ford.

6. "four speed dual quad posi-traction 409"
BTW when I was in High school one of my class mates had a 409. It was 8-9 years old and had gone through a few transmissions. He refused to race anybody for fear of blowing up another transmission (car had a 3 speed at the time).

some of those groups back then sounded so alike it was hard to tell the difference. for years there was a jan and dean song I thought was done by the beach boys...

There are now two questions unanswered. Here's some hints.

9. Why did Tommy drive that last fatal stock car race?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjQgkHzbTk

20. What helped the singer catch Maybelline?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrQWU2EcsA

Singer had a V-8 Ford, not a Mustang (this was 1955)

Three more, less old, car song trivia
1. Where did the singer go on The day the music died, and what was he driving?
2. What vehicle was slowing down to take a look in Winslow, Arizona?
3. What make of car most probably had the most songs written about it?

1. Where did the singer go on The day the music died, and what was he driving?
Drove his Chevy to the Levee

2. What vehicle was slowing down to take a look in Winslow, Arizona?
A Girl in a flatbed Ford

3. What make of car most probably had the most songs written about it?
I have no idea, but I suspect that it's a Ford

Depending on the year that Chuck Berry sang "Maybelline" the type of Ford may have changed ;)
In any case it was a rain storm with the water splashing up under the hood that cooled his overheated engine and allowed him to catch up.

car with the most songs???...I would venture a guess that the corvette was mentioned in more songs than any other..

Okay, thanks for the participation but wrap it up. No. 9, Tommy entered the race to buy his girl a wedding ring with the winnings in "Tell Laura I love her".

Make in the most songs? Gotta be Oldsmobile, which was the first one too. I stopped counting at 26, seems hip hop people like Olds.

Songs that mention Oldsmobiles - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Interesting notes on Oldsmobile.
Ransom E. Olds, per Wikipedia, is credited with developing the first modern assembly line and first massed produced car, the curved dash Olds, not Ford and the Model T.

Olds is often credited with building the first muscle car when, in 1949, they took the Chevrolet sized six cylindar 76 and dropped in the new much more powerful revolutionary V8 engine, called the Rocket, used in the top of the line 98, making the milestone car, the 88, which dominated NASCAR until the less powerful, but low slung, Hudson Hornet came along.

Oldsmobile driven by Lee Petty won the first Daytona 500 at the new track in 1959, but only by a nose in a photo finish. After this, the 88 was much heavier and became noncompetitive and never won again.

Oldsmobile Cutlass was the best selling model in America for 1975 and 1976. In less than 30 years the Oldsmobile name was no longer in existence, a testimony of incredible incompetence by management and incredible greed by management and unions, busy killing the goose that laid the golden egg, GM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back