Possible End of the ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially when you're behind enemy lines. You've got a job to do, you're not going to let an injured man hinder your progress.

The best way to make the point is from the Battle of the Black Sea (Black Hawk Down). When Blackburn fell from the Blackhawk and it took six other soldiers to pull him back to the convoy. British troops would have had him treated and the other five soldiers would have stayed part of the battle. He probably wouldn't have been left behind but they wouldn't have bothered with him while the battle was still raging, only a medic would tend to him.

Or when the first Blackhawk went down and they spent hours cutting out the cockpit to bring out, what they found to be, dead bodies. The British would have left them. They would have probably gone to the crash site, picked up any survivors, blown up the helicopter and gone.

In the Falklands those that died there, were buried there. Most of the time, we don't even bother bringing the bodies home. I think they're starting to do it more and more now though.

I just think it is the right thing to do, I would not want to be left behind. I would also not want to risk the lives of my comrads though either, so I can understand it.

It's a tough call. You want to help your buddy. You typically train, eat sleep, shit and fight with these guys for quite a while. Bonds that are deeper than civilians understand are formed. They become your brothers. I would have a tough time leaving someone behind.

I imagine it would be hard but sometimes the choice has to be made, the mission or the man.

Adler, I wanted to say the Third wave at Pearl would have farced a slower reconstruction time and would have slowed down the sub. war because of the loss of the drydocks and oil tanks.

I am also not Surpised that we have not read much about Plan_D's grandfather. If he was in the CBI people seem to forget about it alot. Plan_D, have you read about the air drops for the Raiders? They were prity scary things. Take a -47 or Halifax and fly low try to find this little pach of jungle. It is almost like open water flying, but not as bad.

MP-Willow said:
Adler, I wanted to say the Third wave at Pearl would have farced a slower reconstruction time and would have slowed down the sub. war because of the loss of the drydocks and oil tanks.

I disagree non of the docks in the continental United States were damaged, so production would not have been slowed for newer ships. The oil tanks on Pearl were not the only oil tanks the US had either.

Thanks, Adler. I like the THRUSTING motion.

Are you talking about the supply drops or the pick ups, MP? Both were hazardous and had to be precise. The Chindits would perished without the supply drops, day in and day out. My Grandad flew in a C-47 a few times, he was actually evacuated from the jungle by one. I don't know if he was behind enemy lines at the time but he caught an awful disease and was evacuated to Imphal. After recovering he was sent straight back into the jungle to find out that the replacement Bren-Gunner for his unit had the Bren gun jam on him...and he got shot.

Yes it was. He told me and was very upset while doing. I think he still believed it should have been him there, the kid who got it was only 18. Being a 'Blitzer' he was one of the first in, the gun jammed and he had nothing to keep the Japs heads down...he got shot.

I could never bring myself to ask much about the war but every now and then he'd feel the need to tell us a story. There are a lot of strange stories from his time in the jungle.

While reading up on Burma I've come across a problem with being a Bren gunner in Burma (aside from the fact that you were the target for the enemy to hit). The ammo used in the Bren, in Burma, was India built and of poor quality. The force of the Bren automatic fire would actually bend or snap the ammo in the chamber causing an unblockable jam.

Plan_D thanks. I wounder how meny Bren gunners were hurt when the amo failed and jammed up the gun? As for the pick up or drop, yes both are hard. I think a pick up might be a bit trickier because you have to get in on the ground. A C-47 is not a plane that you can drop into the jungle, it needs a little room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread