Possible End of the ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think that back in 1938 the allies should have made a tougher stance towards Hitlers polocies. In way do I think they were cowards.

NO - I dont think so, we just werent prepared for war because we didnt want one! plus there was also some self-interest going on also.

The Americans wouldnt have got involved at all if it wasnt for Pearl harbour - After that Remember, America only declared war on Japan, it was Hitler who declared war on the states to back up his ally!!

Before the lend-lease agreement, the states insisted that we pay for every Plane, tank round upfront, til the british money well had run dry. so we werent the only ones with a self-interest!!!

I agree with you someone what but just telling Hitler no and warning him with war may have detered him atleast for a little bit back in 1938. Before 1939 Germany was not prepared for war either.

Concorde247 said:
NO - I dont think so, we just werent prepared for war because we didnt want one! plus there was also some self-interest going on also.

The Americans wouldnt have got involved at all if it wasnt for Pearl harbour - After that Remember, America only declared war on Japan, it was Hitler who declared war on the states to back up his ally!!

Before the lend-lease agreement, the states insisted that we pay for every Plane, tank round upfront, til the british money well had run dry. so we werent the only ones with a self-interest!!!

Before Lend Lease you were dealing with individual companies that were hard pressed to stay in buisness even with cash - with Lend Lease the Federal Goverment (US Taxpayeres) picked up the tab and was written off Not paidoff or held against the United Kingdom or any other country that shared the common goal of defeating the Axis in WWII. Interestingly Two countries payed their war debt off entirely Germany, and Japan.

wmaxt

I agree to what Concorde said about the americans... They were probably the most selfinterested of the allies... Beeing isolated from the Old Continent they would have rather staid put, letting the brits, the francs and the germans fight it all among themselfes... Thus ashuring their climb to the top of the superpowers top...

That's not totally correct Max lend-lease and the line of credit was not written off. The UK is due to finish its payments to the USA on 31st December 2006 if it does not defer as it has done on two occasion, the repayments where started in 1950 and the debt was set at $4,336 million (around ÿ1,075 million at 1945 exchange rates) (source Hansard). These figures in relation to current rateable value would be the equivalent of $14.742 billion

We couldnt start paying them back til 1950, as we needed what money we had left to try rebuild the countries damaged infrastructure. The americans were more fortunate, as they didnt have cities devastated by aerial bombardment, so the money they had in their coffers could be invested in more profitable ways.

yes...but remember the fact that not even the USA were spared by the economic downfall after the war, even if it was at a smaller scale than on the old continent...

It may seem odd but with German everything was destroyed so all the manufacturing was started from scratch with new production lines and equipment most of the UK equipment and infrastructure was clapped out but still usable and therefore it carried on being used long after the war there was no investment capital available and the economy stagnated for many years longer than Germans.
Germany's growth figures always went up year on year as it had to because they started with nothing so this encouraged more foreign investment.which made for more growth ect ect.

Yes but in order for Germany's growth to happen and the economy and infrastrure to rise it required a large amount of aid and debt relief from the allies. I am not sure I am going to have to look this up, I might be wrong but I thought Germany was still paying for the war debt.

I dare say you are right Adler but as most of the money came from the USA you could find yourself in an odd situation if you have duel nationality you would be paying yourself :confused:

Hi all, as for the US post-war, the ecconomie grew slowly, but it did well, and then really tok off in the 1950s.

The USA was not interested in the war. Yes FDR did as much as he could t help the Brittish, but the people did not want war. We most likly would have got into it with Germany sooner or latter because we were infact shooting and sinking subs while supporting the convoys.

Lend-Lease was great, if you were the RAF, they just chopped up B-24s and what ever elts they had so not to pay. But if they are paying back the bill that is great! Maybe the cash can go to better our children's education ;)

I dont think the USA is due for its reign as the worlds most dominate country to end for a while yet Adler. It will of coures one day as all empires do. I suspect it could be the Chinese to to be the next one how ever nothing is certain

trackend said:
I dont think the USA is due for its reign as the worlds most dominate country to end for a while yet Adler. It will of coures one day as all empires do. I suspect it could be the Chinese to to be the next one how ever nothing is certain

Oh no, dont take me wrong. I dont expect it happen anytime soon. It is just with everythign that is going on, the US is spending more money than it can afford and the national debt is rising more and more to record highs. But then again when has it not been at a record high? I dont expect China to at all, atleast in the near future. I expect it at some point for the communist regieme there to fall just like it did in the Soviet Union and then it will take some time for a new government to get things going.

Interesting thouht!

Question, what are your thoughts if the war had turned and Operation Barbarosa had worked? ;)

I think that it would have been very different. All thoughs divisions would have been driven to the west. I think then that Operation Sealion would have also worked. :(

I still doubt the success of Sealion MP. D-day required mastery of the air and the sea and if Rommel had been given a free hand and using his armour fought to hold the invading forces on the beaches as he had planned the success of the landings would have been in the balance but for Sealion the Germans would have had command of neither the air or the sea so my guess would be a disaster the same as Dieppe but on a much bigger scale.

and just about every single person in the country that could fire a gun would be waiting for them on the beaches..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back