Possible End of the ww2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
It undoubtedly seemed like a hollow victory to the old man after losing his boy, but to echo lanc's sentiment, at least he went out fighting for an urgent cause. A hero, pure and simple.

I for one shall forever be grateful to him, and to all the other lads who never got to see the end of it.

Thanks for the help. also for the bit about the father and son. I agree that alot of families and children would have liked to have tfathers and sons home. Then in a generation we did it all again. What the world lost in life, in maybe a cure for cancer, or the next great prime minister. I think of the death in the Trenches, and a lot was from infection and sickness, and wounder ifthe Russians were not the better to just pull out?

If I would have had to fight in the war I would have wanted to fly, even if that life was expected to last only a few days. ;)

trackend said:
Speaking personally fellas, I don't know if Rommel would have stopped the invasion or not had he been allowed full use of the Panzer forces but the slaughter would have been horrific like all landing beaches most are not that big (Omaha beach was 7000 yards but a lot of that was not easy to negotiate) so it tends to funnel the fighting into smaller pockets to avoid strongly defended areas of contact, or areas with better cover for the invading forces rather than maintain extended lines. I dread to think what it would have been like with Panzer units holding the high ground looking down on the landing fields.

Sorry to back track a bit lads the Seargent I referred to was a time serving WW1 vet and he had a son in the paras when my old man went home on leave one time he met him in a pub and the old boy was in a terrible state it turned out his boy had been killed at Arnhem. He took the news really badl. He never did get over it and died a couple of years later.

You are more then likely correct on your assessement with Rommel. I dont think he would have stopped it but he would have done the best he could with what he had (which he did anyhow) and th blood bath would have been even more horrific.

Yeah, just look at it...

mirage4_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back