Post WW2 Opportunities Lost by the Navy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How could the USN know in Oct 1947 that an F-86 deriviative would be a better bet than the F7U? It had nothing to compare it to until the F7U flew for the first time on 29 Sept 1948. Even then it would take some time for the real story to become apparent. But we still have no idea exactly what NAA offered the USN in 1946 as it seems to have been lost to the mists of time.

You also assume that a navalised F-86 in 1948/49 would have the same performance as the USAAF F-86 that saw service in Korea from late 1950. That will undoubtedly be untrue. Navalising a land based aircraft always comes with some cost.

F-86A-5 - Engine J47-GE-13 5,200lb st. Weight empty 10,093lb. Weight take off:- 14,108lb. Speed 679 at SL, 601mph at 35,000ft.
F-86E-5 - Engine as above. Weight empty 10,555lb. Weight take off:- 16,346lb with drop tanks. Weight combat:- 13,791lb. Speed 679 at SL, 601mph at 35,000ft.

More powerful engines were retrofitted later.

And for the FJ-2 - Engine J47-GE-2 6,000lb st. Weight empty 11,802lb. Weight gross:- 18,790lb. Speed 676mph at SL, 601mph at 35,000ft.

Additional airframe weight over the F-86E (which was used as the basis for the FJ-2 and was already heavier than the F-86A) of 1,247lb (12% over the E on which it was based) went into fitting folding wings, beefier airframe to withstand the forces of catapulting and arresting, fitting arrester hook, changes to undercarriage (wider track) change from 6x0.5" to 4x20mm. To maintain the performance of the F-86A/E it required an extra 800lb st (15%). The more powerful engine was decided on after the two prototypes had flown and before production machines started to come off the line i.e. sometime between 27/12/51 and autumn 1952. The question then is when did the more powerful engine become available.

The USAF didn't get an F-86 with equivalent power until the F-86F-1 took to the air in March 1952. It had the J47-GE-27 of 5,950lb st fitted.

So the extra thrust does not seem to have been available until early 1952. To me that means that a navalised F-86 produced in 1948/49 would have been heavier but would have had to make do with the 5,200lb st of the early versions and therefore would have suffered some performance degradation when compared to the early F-86.

That was apparent from your comment about carrier refuelling taking place overnight.;) Operating aircraft from a carrier is just not the same as operating from a land base with 6,000-10,000 feet of runway and acres of run off area when something goes wrong. Flying from, and working on, a carrier flight deck is one of the most dangerous activities going. Just ask the pilot and deck crew of the USS Carl Vinson injured in the F-35C loss in Jan 2022. The question is do you want to learn about operations from carrier decks or not?

There is an almost symbiotic relationship between a carrier and its aircraft. Changes to one affect the other. Never was that more apparent than immediately after WW2 and the advent of jets. Look at how HMS Victorious designed in 1936 around the operation of 36 Fairey Swordfish biplane torpedo spotter reconnaiasance aircraft and Blackburn Skua monoplane fighter/dive bombers evolved over time and a major reconstruction to survive until 1967 when she was operating near supersonic Sea Vixen fighters, Blackburn Buccaneer strike aircraft plus Gannet AEW3 and helicopters (31 in total). Same with the USN Essex class. They began as a 1939-41 design around the then latest types (F4U Corsair, TBF Avenger and SB2C Helldiver) and finished up in the mid-1970s as small Attack carriers (F/RF-8 Crusader, A-1 Skyraiders, A-4 Skyhawk, A-3B Skywarrior and E-1 Tracer). Or Midway which began life in 1946 with F4U-4 Corsairs and SB2C-5 Helldivers but ended up in 1992 operating F/A-18 Hornets, A-6E/ KA-6D Intruders, EA-6B Prowlers, E-3C Hawkeyes & SH-3H helicopters. See the growth in Midway's flight deck in that period and the changes in layout.
View attachment 661872
And that is only the visible changes over the period. New larger lifts, more powerful catapults, strengthened flight decks and add in radar development, guided missiles and nuclear weapons for good measure. While aircraft in the 1930-50 time period had a relatively short service life, carriers had to adapt as they were too big an investment to be ditched every few years.

As I noted my figures came from an actual post operation report from the carrier concerned in May-July 1951. As I noted the SCB-27/27A carriers that operated in Korea with the more powerful catapults would probably have been able to launch a Panther much more easily. But their tours in Korea were in a minority.

I am well aware of the rivalries between the USN and the USAAF. That doesn't mean that such things don't get put aside in times of crisis to be picked up again afterwards. And also what happens in the field is often very different from the politics that go on in Washington or Whitehall.

The USN and the RN were both facing the same problems in the immediate post WW2 with regard to the development of carriers and their aircraft. And for both money was tight. The spirit of co-operation that had built up in WW2 where both sides learned from each other in carrier design and operations, was continued into the post war years with an exchange of ideas and personnel. The problems for Britain were perhaps more pressing as the British WW2 era carriers were smaller and less suited to operating jets. While we had successes in terms of the steam catapult, angled deck and optical landing sight, not everything worked out that well, like the rubber deck.

The issue of catapults is a good example. With the prospect of heavier aircraft to launch America was working on a cordite powered catapult. At the same time Britain, which had developed such kit in WW2, developed the steam catapult. The prototype was trialled from 1950 in HMS Perseus, which visited the USA between Jan and Mar 1952 to demonstrate it to the USN. It represented such an improvement over what the USN was planning that it was immediately adopted. The first operational steam catapults, which were built in Britain, went into the SCB-27C conversion of USS Hancock from Jan 1954.

In the same time period Britain invented the angled deck, but with the idea shared, the USN took it and turned it into the first hardware in the Sept-Dec refit of the USS Antietam. Antietam then visited Britain in May 1953 to demonstrate it to the RN. The first 3 British carriers so fitted completed in April-Oct 1954, a few months before the next US carrier completed with it (USS Shangri La in Jan 1955).

In 1955 the three successful British inventions come together for the first time with the completion of HMS Ark Royal (IV) in Feb, USS Forrestal on 1 Oct and HMAS Melbourne on 28 Oct.

Well they had a plan. While adopting your approach might have reduced the risk, it seems to me that it would not necessarily have provided what the USN sought in the first place. In an era of extremely fast technological change it is always a problem to decide where to aim and to determine in advance just how long it would take to get there. Ask most people in 1939 about the A bomb and it would have been seen as pure science fiction. But just 6 years later it was used in action for the first and, hopefully, last time.

How could the USN know in Oct 1947 that an F-86 deriviative would be a better bet than the F7U? It had nothing to compare it to until the F7U flew for the first time on 29 Sept 1948.

I am well aware of the rivalries between the USN and the USAAF. That doesn't mean that such things don't get put aside in times of crisis to be picked up again afterwards. And also what happens in the field is often very different from the politics that go on in Washington or Whitehall.

QUOTE]How could the USN know in Oct 1947 that an F-86 deriviative would be a better bet than the F7U? It had nothing to compare it to until the F7U flew for the first time on 29 Sept 1948.[/QUOTE]
The F-86 was the FIRST standard American aircraft to be proposed with swept wings. The F7U was a rather non-standard aircraft. So I suspect that there was a lot of interest in the design from any cleared aerospace engineer. I would be surprised if North American did not provide the Navy with design-to performance. When the plane started flying in October, it would not be long before flight test point were compared to designed points and validated their expectation. I am sure that they were excited when they realized the XF-86 was 70 mph faster than the FJ-1 at altitude with the same thrust engine, and over 50 mph faster than much other, more powerful, proposed fighters. And, when they realized that the XP-86 approach speed fell within the approach speeds of other Navy jets, I would be willing to bet that they ran to the Navy with this information, hoping the Navy would recognize what they had. However, the Navy was betting on the F7U-1, which was still two years and five months away from first flight, was not interested. So, the F7U was most likely a double curse. First it failed to live up to its promises, and second, may have prevented the Navy from pursuing a much needed Korean War fighter, the FJ-2/3 two years, until the Mig-15 forced their hand.

So, to answer your first question, they would not have known the F7U would turn out to be a turkey, but the FJ-2 performance would be significantly better than the F2H and F9F and was basically in the same procurement cycle. Certainly, for Korea, the FJ-2 would have been available for the Marines from land bases, and who knows, maybe the Navy pilots, jealous of the AF and Marines, would have found a way to use the FJ-2 on carriers, as did the Brits with the F4U in WW2. So, in hind sight, the only sight I have, I think the best decision for the Navy in early '48 would be to continue the work on the F&U, buy more F2Hs, which were already flying, and seemed to perform better than the proposed F9F, cancel the F9F, it was never going to be a war winner in any form, build the FJ-2/3. The Navy would have been ready for the Korean War, and the Mig-15. And have a fighter that could take them to the F8U. Well, throw in a couple of mediocre supersonic jets, the skyray, tiger, and disappointing Demon.

You also assume that a navalised F-86 in 1948/49 would have the same performance as the USAAF F-86 that saw service in Korea from late 1950. That will undoubtedly be untrue. Navalising a land based aircraft always comes with some cost.

I didn't assume anything. Having worked with the F-18A in converting it to a land based F-18L, I am well aware of Naval requirements over land based requirements including much stronger gear, strengthening structure to adapt hook and to endure hard landings, a Navy specialty. Data shows the FJ-2 which is the navalized F-86 to be about 2000 lb heavier. This had little effect on top speed but did affect climb rate, about 70% less than F-86, but was still faster than the Mig-15 and certainly more competitive than other Navy jets. The FJ-3 with upgraded engines would probably not become available until after the F-86F, and probably not make the war.

QUOTE]That was apparent from your comment about carrier refuelling taking place overnight.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think that sounded right but didn't have time to research. Besides everyone knows you can trust the internet.

Yeah, I can see a couple of AF F-86 pilots and a couple of Navy F9F pilots in a Yokota Air Base (Tokyo) O Club at the bar, discussing the war. AF pilot "Two days ago we spotted two Migs heading home and turned to engage I took the lead and my wing took the Mig wing. We had altitude on them and quickly put them on the defensive. My guy tried to dive away. Big mistake, no Mig's gonna out dive a Sabre, I caught him and gunned him, my third kill! The other Mig tried to climb away. Boy those Migs can climb! No Sabre is gonna catch a Mig in a climb. He got away. How's your war going?" Navy pilot "Great! Straffed three trucks and dropped a bomb on an encampment". AF pilot, "Oh..uh..yeah..great".

In the same time period Britain invented the angled deck, but with the idea shared, the USN took it and turned it into the first hardware in the Sept-Dec refit of the USS Antietam. Antietam then visited Britain in May 1953 to demonstrate it to the RN. The first 3 British carriers so fitted completed in April-Oct 1954, a few months before the next US carrier completed with it (USS Shangri La in Jan 1955).

I know the US was working with the Brits on the angled deck. I think they even tried it out on a Brit carrier, maybe wrong. The Antietam was stationed in Pensacola when I was a boy, being used as a carrier check out for carrier quals. It seemed like every time they went out for carrier quals they would lose a plane and pilot. Those were the days when yellow SNJ flew overhead.

Well they had a plan. While adopting your approach might have reduced the risk, it seems to me that it would not necessarily have provided what the USN sought in the first place. In an era of extremely fast technological change it is always a problem to decide where to aim and to determine in advance just how long it would take to get there.

Yes. It is always easier to bet on a game when you know the outcome. When the Air Force can launch a single aircraft and attack from 1400 miles away and erase a city, it takes all the air (and money) out of the room, a lot of re-planning was on-going. I am sure they had a reason for doing what they did, and by Vietnam, the Navy had superb aircraft to execute that kind of war.

A lot of this Era was dominated by engine development.
Who was promising what and when.
Who was actually delivering on the promises, or at least was coming close.

US jet engine development had been fragmented during the war years and the army had controlled contracts to certain companies and the navy had controlled controlled contracts to others.
Westinghouse was a "navy" company although there was some cross over.
Picking winners out of this bunch must have been very hard.
The Allison J-35 stagnated for several years at one power rating until several jumps in power were made fairly quickly at the same time reliability and overhaul life was rapidly increasing. This was an example of how hard it was to pick winners.

Westinghouse went through 4 engines from the end of WW II to the mid 50s and largest and last finished off Westinghouse as an aircraft engine maker.
Westinghouse might not have been too bad in 1944-47 but they weren't building anything that really stood out and the later engines were running late and not performing as promised..

The centrifugal engines were giving the best performance during the 40s but most people thought they were interim engine's about to be blown away by the axial compresser engine's. It just took a few years longer than most people expected.

The J-47 first ran in June 1947 and first flew in May 1948 making it something of a late comer.
From the end of the war to the Korean War, changes in aircraft and engines were slow due to tight money. Changes from start of Korean War into the fifties were breath taking. It went just breaking the sound barrier in 1947 to twice the speed of sound in 1954. Thrust went from 5-6000 lbs at the start of the Korean War, 1950, to over 20,000 lbs mid to late 50s.

From the end of the war to the Korean War, changes in aircraft and engines were slow due to tight money. Changes from start of Korean War into the fifties were breath taking. It went just breaking the sound barrier in 1947 to twice the speed of sound in 1954. Thrust went from 5-6000 lbs at the start of the Korean War, 1950, to over 20,000 lbs mid to late 50s.

Very true but was a lot of background work that went on. Some of those 5-6000lb thrust engines in 1950 had been not only under 4000lbs in 1947 they also had been at 15 hours of overhaul life. They were well over 100 hours in 1950 and hitting 500-600 hours in 1954. You can work on those 20,000lb thrust engines once you know you can get the 5-6000thrust engines to last more than a few flights ;).
You also didn't need to by engines by the hundreds (if not thousands) in the 1940s to figure out what was going wrong.
It took 4-5 years to get an engine from start of work to production in the late 40s and through the 50s. It had taken 4-5 years to get most big piston engines into production in the 30s and early 40s.
P&W had started work the same month in 1940 on the R-2800 "C" series engine and the R-4360 engine for example and it took until mid 1944 and into 1945 respectively to the get the engines into service. A lot of the jets were the same way. P & W started work on what would become the J-57 turbo jet in late 1947. It stared as a turbo-prop. It didn't fly until March 1951 under a Boeing B-50 bomber. It took another 3 years to get really sorted out.
A lot of money helps but just like you can't make a baby in one month by have 9 women pregnant a lot of these engines (and air frames and electronics) took a while to come together.

Very true but was a lot of background work that went on. Some of those 5-6000lb thrust engines in 1950 had been not only under 4000lbs in 1947 they also had been at 15 hours of overhaul life. They were well over 100 hours in 1950 and hitting 500-600 hours in 1954. You can work on those 20,000lb thrust engines once you know you can get the 5-6000thrust engines to last more than a few flights ;).
You also didn't need to by engines by the hundreds (if not thousands) in the 1940s to figure out what was going wrong.
It took 4-5 years to get an engine from start of work to production in the late 40s and through the 50s. It had taken 4-5 years to get most big piston engines into production in the 30s and early 40s.
P&W had started work the same month in 1940 on the R-2800 "C" series engine and the R-4360 engine for example and it took until mid 1944 and into 1945 respectively to the get the engines into service. A lot of the jets were the same way. P & W started work on what would become the J-57 turbo jet in late 1947. It stared as a turbo-prop. It didn't fly until March 1951 under a Boeing B-50 bomber. It took another 3 years to get really sorted out.
A lot of money helps but just like you can't make a baby in one month by have 9 women pregnant a lot of these engines (and air frames and electronics) took a while to come together.
Starting in the early 50s there was a significant increase in market pressure, both military, competition with the USSR was heated, and commercial, to provide engines with increased power and reliability. Economic growth demanded more and more advanced homes, cars, vacations, free time. All of this poured money into many different technologies, including aerospace. As a results, by the mid to late 50s engines had pretty well hit the 90 percentile, my estimate, performance. The last 10% would be much more expensive. I had experience with two engines, of this era, both easily met my expectations in modern jet performance. The J-85 in the T-38 was incredibly small, compressor blades were almost like razor blades, spun up fast, reliable, and gave a reassuring kick with the after burner. The other engine, in the C-141, the TF-33 (JT3D), was amazing. The C-141 had as much thrust on three engines as the KC-135 had on all four (JT3C?) and we grossed out at the same weight, and it would run on any JP fuel and, avgas(!). Nice to know when you are refueling in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, on an emergency air evac flight. Engine replacement time? 10,000 hours! It would run 30 minutes with no oil pressure. In four year of flying in war operations, flying tag team crews (new crews took aircraft with old crew going into crew rest, aircraft flew almost continuously), I heard of only one engine in the fleet having to be shut down, this due to oil pressure. It had over 9900 hours on the engine. This is all in the early seventies. Today, I am amazed at the size and power of jet engines. One Boeing 777 engine generates more thrust than all four of the C-141 engines combined.

Very interesting thread, thanks.
And I just remembered Navy pilot Royce Williams. His encounter with MiG-15s was discussed here in Korean war related threads.
That's a very interesting story and implies classified activities going on that really manifested itself in the Vietnam war. I am reading a book called "Unlikely Warriors" about the Army Security Agency activities in Vietnam and their classified activities at the time. A lot went on that we never knew. My brother was in that agency during the war but never talked about it. They had their own boot camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back