Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much!

The work that has been posted here, especially the cutaway PBY (and many others - there is neither time nor space to name them all) makes me wish I'd kept up my modeling over the last 35 years.

Kudos fellow builders! :salute:

Chip B.

Hi fubar, and thanks. I think golf will probably cost you far less as a hobby than the model building! Besides, the items one may choose to hurl at someone or something annoying are smaller and much less likely to do real damage than, say, a four iron ...

Chip

Foe Joe and all who helped me figure out how the Hellcat brake line inserted into the wheel, here is my first attempt. And after all that, the wheel well door when placed will make it all but impossible to see! Just ain't fair, I tell ya ...

F0F28F4D-736F-418E-B808-09848BD88E6A.jpeg

I post my builds on many websites and have galleries on a few as well. Since I typically build 10-15 models a year I decided to make a blog style website so that I have all the information and photo's in one location. The website is: David's Scale Models

So now if you follow one of my builds or see a completed build here and would like to see previous builds you can visit my website and see them. This website will also serve as a source of my methods that I use. An example would be on making recognition lights on aircraft look realistic. ( see Recognition Lights )

Finally it gives me a source to link the photo's of my posts here without relying on third party websites that may have changes. (Like when photobucket changed their policies)

Please take a few moments and check out my site and feel free to let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Photo link test:

dsc03962.jpg

I post my builds on many websites and have galleries on a few as well. Since I typically build 10-15 models a year I decided to make a blog style website so that I have all the information and photo's in one location. The website is: David's Scale Models

So now if you follow one of my builds or see a completed build here and would like to see previous builds you can visit my website and see them. This website will also serve as a source of my methods that I use. An example would be on making recognition lights on aircraft look realistic. ( see Recognition Lights )

Finally it gives me a source to link the photo's of my posts here without relying on third party websites that may have changes. (Like when photobucket changed their policies)

Please take a few moments and check out my site and feel free to let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Photo link test:

View attachment 487255
David - That is some seriously nice work you have displayed! I hope to reach your level of expertise, one of these old days. Not that I am pining for retirement you understand (uh huh).

A question, if I may: I very much like the way you demo your technique with the recognition lights on the outboard wingtips and fuselage. Yours is one of which I was unaware, and one that I will be trying very soon. The question I have is, can you mix the clear color with the clear gel before it dries? Will that give you as nice a finish, better, or might it look completely awful?

Most importantly, I would like to know your approach to leading edge wingtip lights, as I am nearly ready to tackle that on the Hellcat I am building in 1/32. I'd very much like to just start cutting and trying the various techniques in FSM and other publications, but if I seriously 'screw the pooch' doing the lights I'd hate to trash the project or hope to find some way to repair the damage.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my question(s), and for sharing your wonderful builds and techniques.

Chip B.

David - That is some seriously nice work you have displayed! I hope to reach your level of expertise, one of these old days. Not that I am pining for retirement you understand (uh huh).

A question, if I may: I very much like the way you demo your technique with the recognition lights on the outboard wingtips and fuselage. Yours is one of which I was unaware, and one that I will be trying very soon. The question I have is, can you mix the clear color with the clear gel before it dries? Will that give you as nice a finish, better, or might it look completely awful?

Most importantly, I would like to know your approach to leading edge wingtip lights, as I am nearly ready to tackle that on the Hellcat I am building in 1/32. I'd very much like to just start cutting and trying the various techniques in FSM and other publications, but if I seriously 'screw the pooch' doing the lights I'd hate to trash the project or hope to find some way to repair the damage.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my question(s), and for sharing your wonderful builds and techniques.

Chip B.
Chip - If you mix the Tamiya paint with the acrylic gel it does not have the high gloss look and the colors appear darker. since the color is through the whole section. I tried it at first and it has a semi-gloss look. Also since I paint the bottom with Model Master chrome silver, The lights look way better as the room light reflects off the silver base and give it a colored lens instead of a colored plastic look.

As for wing tip lights, I keep all the clear sprues from the models I build. I trim a piece to fit the area (after cutting the molded section out) and glue it in place. After it dries I wet sand and shape the lens with 600, then 1000, and finally with 1500 grit sand paper. I then tape it off with a piece of Kapton tape while I paint the rest of the aircraft. Once done I peel the tape off and paint it with the Tamiya clear red (or green or blue). I tried the cutting up a clear red or green tooth brush but I feel it looks more like a colored piece of plastic then a colored lens over open space.

The kit I am working on now, the wingtip lights are already done. On my next kit I will do a step by step tutorial on the wingtip lights. I have to look back and see which ones I used the colored toothbrush pieces and take a side by side picture to show the difference. With all the models I have built, I tend to try a new/different method on each one. I tend to practice on the less expensive models then use what I learned on the higher quality models.

Thanks for visiting my website, If you click to follow it, I tend to update once a week.
As for questions, I am always willing to assist others.

Chip - If you mix the Tamiya paint with the acrylic gel it does not have the high gloss look and the colors appear darker. since the color is through the whole section. I tried it at first and it has a semi-gloss look. Also since I paint the bottom with Model Master chrome silver, The lights look way better as the room light reflects off the silver base and give it a colored lens instead of a colored plastic look.

As for wing tip lights, I keep all the clear sprues from the models I build. I trim a piece to fit the area (after cutting the molded section out) and glue it in place. After it dries I wet sand and shape the lens with 600, then 1000, and finally with 1500 grit sand paper. I then tape it off with a piece of Kapton tape while I paint the rest of the aircraft. Once done I peel the tape off and paint it with the Tamiya clear red (or green or blue). I tried the cutting up a clear red or green tooth brush but I feel it looks more like a colored piece of plastic then a colored lens over open space.

The kit I am working on now, the wingtip lights are already done. On my next kit I will do a step by step tutorial on the wingtip lights. I have to look back and see which ones I used the colored toothbrush pieces and take a side by side picture to show the difference. With all the models I have built, I tend to try a new/different method on each one. I tend to practice on the less expensive models then use what I learned on the higher quality models.

Thanks for visiting my website, If you click to follow it, I tend to update once a week.
As for questions, I am always willing to assist others.

Very impressive body ( fuselage? ) of work. Good site layout and thanks for the information
clap.gif

Very impressive body ( fuselage? ) of work. Good site layout and thanks for the informationView attachment 489515
Positively brilliant! I will be using clear sprue for the position light above the tailhook and the wingtips. If the results are at all presentable, pics to follow. If I screw the pooch, forget you ever knew of me ...

I'm looking forward to adding your techniques to my repertoire. This is truly what makes this community great - the sharing for the good of the entire group of builders!

Chip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back