Posting photos on the forum. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think I got a link from Wojtek when I got it, but it was so long ago I don't remember. Check out the various sites, and find the one with the creator's name. It's a great system, and you'll like it.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

But if you are handy with Photoshop or Corel I would suggest this FREE program.....

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

The advantage of Irfanview is that it comes with a batch option, so you can resize a whole lot of images at once. In Gimp that's pretty tedious.

Having said so, why does the forum server not have imagemagick installed? You could set it that the file will always be resized to the proper maximum size and will safe a lot of storage space as well.

Marcel,

I'm not sure if the forum soft can work with the ImageMagick one together. Also I I'm not sure if the mentioned program can resize files down while being a part of a forum soft. A size of a saved image file depends on its type, DPI, number of colours etc... If you save a large picture and get a file of 5-7MB and then upload it here, the file size will be still the same. The displaying procedure can adjust dimensions of the picture to the forum site ( seems to be resized down ) but it is still the large file that takes of the 5-7MB being saved on the server HDD. If you don't believe me please click with the RMB any of large pictures posted in the forum and choose the Show Info about the Picture option from the pop-up menu.

I know how the forum works, resizing is only done on the fly.

The software I mention, imagemagick is widely used in web scripts to resize pictures the way irfanview does on the server. So in fact storage size will be cut down significantly. I know that both Joomla and Drupal can use it with the help of a plugin. Pwigo, a well known photo album script uses it as a standard. And I suspect the forum software uses it to pipe it to Apache in order to resize on the fly. But as vBulletin is not opensource, I can only speculate. There might be a plugin for this.

Resizing this way has the disadvantage of loosing information when storing. Thus is not ideal. But on the other hand it has to resize only once, so it'll save cpu and memory resources in the log run. And will speed up the site significantly.

Last edited:
The most classic example of server compression, would be facebook.

I already resize images to their default album size of 720 wide: 720x477 (or 720x479 - depending on the camera that took the original photo) and while FB's server doesn't resize them further (except for thumbnails or shadowbox display), it knocks about 60% of the files size in MB down, leaving terrible "bleeding" or pixellation (especially with reds or blues).

I know how the forum works, resizing is only done on the fly.

The software I mention, imagemagick is widely used in web scripts to resize pictures the way irfanview does on the server. So in fact storage size will be cut down significantly. I know that both Joomla and Drupal can use it with the help of a plugin. Pwigo, a well known photo album script uses it as a standard. And I suspect the forum software uses it to pipe it to Apache in order to resize on the fly. But as vBulletin is not opensource, I can only speculate. There might be a plugin for this.

Resizing this way has the disadvantage of loosing information when storing. Thus is not ideal. But on the other hand it has to resize only once, so it'll save cpu and memory resources in the log run. And will speed up the site significantly.

OK. I'll dropped a line to Horse suggesting looking for a such plugin. :thumbright:

Well then.....

fuck-a-duck_o_679354.jpg

Last edited:
Click the pic with the LMB twice or if you have the Irfanview started go to the File option and choose the Open one from the menu. When the picture is loaded hit the CTRL+R keys. The new requester will be opened where you have the ready for use pic sizes on the right or Set New size line on the left where you can input the new width or hight manually. A little bit down you have a small square fixed for the Preserve aspect ratio option. If it is enabled the dimensions of loaded pic will change proportionally. It means if you change the width, the hight is adjusted automtically and vice-versa. . If the option is disabled you can change either the width or the hight of the pic separately. The effect can be interestion though. Please chack that if you want. When the width is changed you have to click the OK button and the changing is applied. But in order to keep the introduced changings you have to re-save the pic again. The Save or Save as options are accessed in the File menu. But remember if you use the Save option the existed pic ( file ) will be replaced without any warning. So if you want to leave the source pic as it was please use the Save as option because you are asked about the destination folder and file name that you can set as you want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back