Posting privileges

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had to rub my eyes for that one cause we've been accused of being very nationalistic. I'm glad that the members see otherwise! :)
Sure you are, you guys are a bunch on nationalist conservative isolationalists from the US, that's why you are on an international forum... eh.. Hmm, that doesn't sound right, I did not think this through, did I?. But luckily we have some european sanity in the group with master Wurger ;) :lol:

But on the serious side, if you guys would be doing a bad job I would not have stayed for 7 years. Sure, sometimes I see a moderator do something that I don't agree with, but hey, that just happens as we're all human with our own ideas. Luckily I never even got a warning, so it seems that it's not so very difficult to stay out of trouble here.

There are certain threads started that have titles that are a blatantly indicative of the content.

Opened some of them, read some of them, and have stayed away from them. Found there is no point in getting riled over hashing out "what if's" and history that cannot be changed. Besides, I am not knowledgeable enough to contribute intelligently, I would only p1ss someone off, and cause them to start a thread to suggest drastic measures and methods to lower the hammer on a member for expressing their opinion!

Old Bill

There are certain threads started that have titles that are a blatantly indicative of the content.

Opened some of them, read some of them, and have stayed away from them. Found there is no point in getting riled over hashing out "what if's" and history that cannot be changed. Besides, I am not knowledgeable enough to contribute intelligently, I would only p1ss someone off, and cause them to start a thread to suggest drastic measures and methods to lower the hammer on a member for expressing their opinion!

Old Bill

Yep, those sorts of threads are pretty much pure cr@p (IMO) Bill, pointless 'scrap traps'.

It maybe seems that way because it seems the most active Mods are all American (Since Adler in now also in the US :) )
There were a few long time prolific posters from Germany, or central Europe etc that are now gone.
It's unfortunate as they had some good contributions, but there was a frequent problem of aggressive or rude postings and threads that devolved into flaming.

Interesting you say that. I recall some of those bans. We went out of our way to ensure we weren't reacting to a situation where a member who was posting in english as a second language was resulting in something getting lost in translation. And in every case it was just a rude member. Folks don't see what goes on behind the scenes in PMs. Freebird says it right in his posts above... most just respond with an "eff you, ban me, I don't care". We only grant their wish.

I joined the forum in 2008, have about 6000 posts under my belt. generally dont post "one liner" glib posts. Sometimes ive made some stupisd statements, and ive been warned three times in that 5 years.

Its not accurate to say this is purely a social forum. There is a generally friendly atmosphere in the place, and some people come here for different reasons. we have the modellers, the tech heads, the gamers, young kids, and oldies, the history buffs, quite a few professional soldiers and ex-soldiers. There is a lot of knowledge that needs to be respected and listened to.

But there are some downright mischievious types in this place as well, who do have an agenda, and do target people that stand in their way. Im one of those people that get regularly targetted by these types of people. Im an inherently conservative thinker, i really dont like revisionist history that tries to rewrite what really happened in a particular time. I loathe the David Irving types, the people who come here to cause obvious mischief.

You can count on me to do two things, and try and do a couple of others as well. Unfortunately these maxims do tend to draw fire to me, and does sometimes get me into hot water. But I am no sh*t stirrer, this is my forum as well, and I want it to be the best that it can be, a free speaking but respectful place that strives to get to a better understanding and not compromise the truth about something.

So what are the two things I stand for. ....I hate bullies and will always stand up to them, even if that gets me into trouble. I will always stand up and defend what I believe in, and that i hope is the truth about something.

What are the "couple of other things" that i seek in this place. Friendships and respect if that is at all possible

I am the first to admit i fall short of these goals on a more or less routine basis.

people come here for all sorts of diferent reasons, now i hope you guys have a bit better understanding for my reasons for being here......

I haven't read this thread before I must admit.
Good points made and like others I have skated on thin ice a couple of times in my early days.
All resolved by honest open pm's with mods so,no harm done.

Some people have got banned for reasons that escape me and others seem to have a licence to insult longer than perhaps they should before disappearing.

I think the mods and regulars give a balance that is lacking in other sites.
After all, this is supposed to be a fun past time not a contest.

I'm also glad that we can josh each other on the off topic threads too...all good fun, tongue firmly in cheek.

My other regret is that I am unlikely to ever meet forum members face to face. Maybe one day...

Cheers
John

Well, Dear John,
Just had to do it......

I've met 3 from here, and all good blokes.
You can't be too far from some ofem in the UK!
Just do it mate!

Good point Bill.
'Poor old spike' lived in Plymouth and we were planning to meet up for a beer, then he got himself banned...
The best place would be a place like Duxford.
I might post a suggestion.
Cheers
John

You guys have some terrific air shows over there, and Hannants is at most of the model shows, perfect ops.
This years Sydney model show is the same day as one of the big air shows...... decisions, decisions.

Hope some of you can get together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back