Prague for the noobs...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
Greetings ladies and gentlemen.

I'm planning in to make a trip to Prague (Czech Republic) in the future, hopefully in 2010. I even ordered my guide book last Wednesday.

However, I know next to nothing about Czech laws. So I would like to know a few things...

1 - Knowing that I'm Canadian, do I need a touristic visa to stay there for a few days (1 to 2 weeks) ? I ask that because I know that in France you need a visa even if you stay there for a single day.

2 - Is there "special" laws in Czech Republic that I should know of so I won't get my @ss in jail ? (Exemple : I know that in Russia, in the '90s, you couldn't take pictures of the Kremlin without authorization... Or the KGB would arrest you, seize your camera and "question" you.)

3 - Any dangerous places for tourists ?

And I think that's about all the questions I have for now...

Hi Maestro,

don´t know anything about the Visas, you gotta ask some office in Canada.
As for the rules- no problems. Personaly I think some of the rules in USA are stricter than here.
As for Prague sightseeing- send a PM to Pisis. He lives in Prague and if I am not not wrong, his girlfriend (wife?) works for some travel agency in Prague so I´m sure he will be able to help you.
I´m sure you´ll enjoy your stay in Prague as this town has a long long time hitory with a beautiful architecture. I´ve visited a lot of European cities but nothing´s gonna beat Prague and Paris...
I never felt in danger in Prague...the most scared I was 3 years ago- in a subway in Brooklyn:lol: But nothing happened to me...

Hi Maestro,

don´t know anything about the Visas, you gotta ask some office in Canada.
As for the rules- no problems. Personaly I think some of the rules in USA are stricter than here.
As for Prague sightseeing- send a PM to Pisis. He lives in Prague and if I am not not wrong, his girlfriend (wife?) works for some travel agency in Prague so I´m sure he will be able to help you.
I´m sure you´ll enjoy your stay in Prague as this town has a long long time hitory with a beautiful architecture. I´ve visited a lot of European cities but nothing´s gonna beat Prague and Paris...
I never felt in danger in Prague...the most scared I was 3 years ago- in a subway in Brooklyn:lol: But nothing happened to me...

Cool, thanks for the tips.

On a side note, I just received my guide book Friday. (Ordered on Wednesday and received on Friday... Talk about fast shipping !)

I also appreciate what you said about danger in Prague, because in my guide book, citizens of Prague were almost described as out-laws. It is warning the reader about pickpockets in the Venceslav (spell ?) Square, skinheads in the streets and to be very careful with taxis as taxi cabs in Prague have a very poor reputation... I was almost scared of going out in Prague at night !

Oh, and I got my answer for the visa (was written in the guide book). Any citizen of the European Union and Canada don't need a visa to visit Czech Republic.

Although I may use a travel agency, unlike for my trip in London where I did everything myself. London was great because I knew the language, but I don't speak a single word of Czech... So if ever I have an emergency in Prague, I'll be a little bite screwed up if I'm on my own.

But my departure isn't planned for tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to think about it.

One last thing, I think you are officially using the Euro since January 2009, right ? So prices there will be in Euro, not in "Couronnes", eh ?

Attachments

• gr_9782764804339.jpg
    gr_9782764804339.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 170
Cool, thanks for the tips.

On a side note, I just received my guide book Friday. (Ordered on Wednesday and received on Friday... Talk about fast shipping !)

I also appreciate what you said about danger in Prague, because in my guide book, citizens of Prague were almost described as out-laws. It is warning the reader about pickpockets in the Venceslav (spell ?) Square, skinheads in the streets and to be very careful with taxis as taxi cabs in Prague have a very poor reputation... I was almost scared of going out in Prague at night !

Oh, and I got my answer for the visa (was written in the guide book). Any citizen of the European Union and Canada don't need a visa to visit Czech Republic.

Although I may use a travel agency, unlike for my trip in London where I did everything myself. London was great because I knew the language, but I don't speak a single word of Czech... So if ever I have an emergency in Prague, I'll be a little bite screwed up if I'm on my own.

But my departure isn't planned for tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to think about it.

One last thing, I think you are officially using the Euro since January 2009, right ? So prices there will be in Euro, not in "Couronnes", eh ?

Yep, Terry is right, thanks to God we still don´t have Euro so beer is really cheap here:lol: cheaper than coca cola or water in fact...no kidding...

As for the guide book- except of pickpockets and cab drivers it is a bullshit.
Anyway. As a tourist you have to watch pickpockets everywhere, not only in Prague.
As for cabdrivers- that´s a really problem. Those bastards have never enough so you better ask for the price before you take taxi. Just to be sure you better ask 2 or 3 cab drivers...3 years ago I asked for a taxi in Prague, just for fun in English, and the price was almost 3 times higher than usually. When he stopped we gave him the amount he should get and he told us he would call for a police. I told him O.K., I´ll wait for a police with you- this time in Czech- and he dissapeared without asking money anymore:lol:

Yep, Terry is right, thanks to God we still don´t have Euro so beer is really cheap here:lol: cheaper than coca cola or water in fact...no kidding...

Okay... But do they accept Euro (or any other foreign money) ? Or will I have to order traveler's checks in Euro, find a change office in Prague and get them converted in Koruny ? (Because there is no friggin change office in Canada that will give me traveler's checks (or cash) in Koruny... I don't even remember seeing it listed at the change office in Québec City.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back