Prague for the noobs...

Discussion in 'OFF-Topic / Misc.' started by Maestro, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Security Officer
    Greetings ladies and gentlemen.

I'm planning in to make a trip to Prague (Czech Republic) in the future, hopefully in 2010. I even ordered my guide book last Wednesday.

However, I know next to nothing about Czech laws. So I would like to know a few things...

1 - Knowing that I'm Canadian, do I need a touristic visa to stay there for a few days (1 to 2 weeks) ? I ask that because I know that in France you need a visa even if you stay there for a single day.

2 - Is there "special" laws in Czech Republic that I should know of so I won't get my @ss in jail ? (Exemple : I know that in Russia, in the '90s, you couldn't take pictures of the Kremlin without authorization... Or the KGB would arrest you, seize your camera and "question" you.)

3 - Any dangerous places for tourists ?

And I think that's about all the questions I have for now...

2. seesul

seesul Active Member

Home Page:
    Hi Maestro,

don´t know anything about the Visas, you gotta ask some office in Canada.
    As for the rules- no problems. Personaly I think some of the rules in USA are stricter than here.
    As for Prague sightseeing- send a PM to Pisis. He lives in Prague and if I am not not wrong, his girlfriend (wife?) works for some travel agency in Prague so I´m sure he will be able to help you.
    I´m sure you´ll enjoy your stay in Prague as this town has a long long time hitory with a beautiful architecture. I´ve visited a lot of European cities but nothing´s gonna beat Prague and Paris...
    I never felt in danger in Prague...the most scared I was 3 years ago- in a subway in Brooklyn:lol: But nothing happened to me...

3. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    I love Prague. I can not wait to go and visit again. My friend is marrying a nice Czech lady and we will probably make a trip with them.

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Security Officer
    Cool, thanks for the tips.

On a side note, I just received my guide book Friday. (Ordered on Wednesday and received on Friday... Talk about fast shipping !)

I also appreciate what you said about danger in Prague, because in my guide book, citizens of Prague were almost described as out-laws. It is warning the reader about pickpockets in the Venceslav (spell ?) Square, skinheads in the streets and to be very careful with taxis as taxi cabs in Prague have a very poor reputation... I was almost scared of going out in Prague at night !

Oh, and I got my answer for the visa (was written in the guide book). Any citizen of the European Union and Canada don't need a visa to visit Czech Republic.

Although I may use a travel agency, unlike for my trip in London where I did everything myself. London was great because I knew the language, but I don't speak a single word of Czech... So if ever I have an emergency in Prague, I'll be a little bite screwed up if I'm on my own.

But my departure isn't planned for tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to think about it.

One last thing, I think you are officially using the Euro since January 2009, right ? So prices there will be in Euro, not in "Couronnes", eh ?

Attached Files:

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Far as I can see, it's still Czech Koruny, todays exchange rate is $1 CND = 16.95 CK

6. seesul

seesul Active Member

Home Page:
    Yep, Terry is right, thanks to God we still don´t have Euro so beer is really cheap here:lol: cheaper than coca cola or water in fact...no kidding...

As for the guide book- except of pickpockets and cab drivers it is a bullshit.
    Anyway. As a tourist you have to watch pickpockets everywhere, not only in Prague.
    As for cabdrivers- that´s a really problem. Those bastards have never enough so you better ask for the price before you take taxi. Just to be sure you better ask 2 or 3 cab drivers...3 years ago I asked for a taxi in Prague, just for fun in English, and the price was almost 3 times higher than usually. When he stopped we gave him the amount he should get and he told us he would call for a police. I told him O.K., I´ll wait for a police with you- this time in Czech- and he dissapeared without asking money anymore:lol:

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Security Officer
    I saw that on the website of the Bank of Canada... However there was a note that reads : "As of January 1st 2009, the Slovak Koruny will be replaced by the Euro." And I thought it was the same thing... #-o

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Security Officer
    Okay... But do they accept Euro (or any other foreign money) ? Or will I have to order traveler's checks in Euro, find a change office in Prague and get them converted in Koruny ? (Because there is no friggin change office in Canada that will give me traveler's checks (or cash) in Koruny... I don't even remember seeing it listed at the change office in Québec City.)

9. seesul

seesul Active Member

Home Page:
    In some places they accept it but you better change some dollars in koruna.
    To pay by euro is always more expensive.
    You can also pay by credit card.

10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Security Officer
    Okay... Thanks a lot for the help, Seesul.

11. seesul

seesul Active Member

Home Page:
    You´re welcome!
    Should you need something when your date gets closer, just ask...