Presentation on Market-Garden. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ferdinand Foch

Staff Sergeant
Hey guys! This Wenesday I get to do a presentation on Market-Garden. I'm just wondering on what are the main points that I should include.
I'm gonna put in that fact that the intelligence was faulty and that logistics in this operation were totally shot. Just want to make sure that I don't miss anything big. Thanks guys!

Hi mate, PM me your e-mail address, and I'll put some stuff together for you. I'm an ex Para (British), although from the 1970's, not WW2, and this is, of course, a subject fairly well known to me, and I know, or knew, a number of guys who fought at Arnhem.
If you haven't recieved anything by Tuesday morning (your time) don't hesitate to give me a kick! I'll get it done pronto!
Terry.

And trust more in your on-site intelligence, less in your own over-inflated cocky self-worship.

Remember, Wikipedia (Or Google) is your friend. :D

Though, what I hardly forget about that battle is that allied officer who brought those intelligence papers...damn.

Ah yes, intelligence is better with cold hard facts, than with wishful thinking. Though I'm still amazed that Monty allowed the 1st Airborne to drop in even though there were two SS Panzer Divisions in the area.
I think that I'm also gonna include that before the war, the Dutch War College had the exact same question for those who wanted to graduate-What was the best line of attack to advance to Arhhem? The main highway or the side roads. Those to chose the sides roads passed, while those who choose the main highway failed. Maybe Monty should've looked at that before the drop. :rolleyes:

1. Para's jumping to far from the bridge, loosing the advantage of surprise. Most of the para's never even reached Arnhem.
2. Trying to get a tank division to fight through enemy territory on a small dyke is asking for trouble.

Definite shortage of C47's, with a total of five lifts, over two and a half days, not counting re-supply. It was the biggest airborne op ever planned, and, as we all now know with the luxury of hindsight, a touch over ambitious!!

Good movie on the topic named after the book it was based on - A Bridge too Far. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a rental.

Read the book, as well. Another fact to touch on: communications. Without reliable communications, your most brilliant general is reduced to not much more than a platoon leader, able to direct only those within hearing distance. Getting trapped behind enemy lines for 19 hours doesn't help much either.

Also maybe equipment? - M4 Shermans vs Konigstigers IIRC? - totally unfair.

BTW the Patchett SMG was first used here, I think (what later became the Sterling).

Sorry if the equipment info is not what you're after.:oops:

Ah yes, intelligence is better with cold hard facts, than with wishful thinking. Though I'm still amazed that Monty allowed the 1st Airborne to drop in even though there were two SS Panzer Divisions in the area.
I think that I'm also gonna include that before the war, the Dutch War College had the exact same question for those who wanted to graduate-What was the best line of attack to advance to Arhhem? The main highway or the side roads. Those to chose the sides roads passed, while those who choose the main highway failed. Maybe Monty should've looked at that before the drop. :rolleyes:

Ferdinand, I might start with that, kinda like what Walter Lord did for "A Night to Remember". Draw them in with alittle irony.

Thanks Njaco. Actually, I already did my presentation last Wenesday, and did include that. My professor was impressed I think. Surprisingly, I was able to include a lot of this information in only thirty minutes. Thanks to all, especially Airframes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back