Primer for acrylic (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
Hi, I've been using Tamiya primer, but it is expensive. Has anyone used a primer like Krylon or is it too grainy?

Krylon may be a little too thick, but any graininess can and should be sanded out using fine wet'n'dry.
fyi; I airbrush synthetic acrylic lacquer primers, I once used pressure packs but found they were too inconsistent.

With Andy(Crimea_River). I never use a primer. I'll shoot white before laying red or yellow and black....sometimes...before silver. I mainly use Tamiya and Vallejo. I wait a minimum of 24 hours before masking and longer if its Vallejo. I detack the bejaysus out of the masking tape if I'm covering Vallejo and very rarely have paint lift or bleed under. I never clean my models before painting

I have almost exclusively switched over to Vallejo for main coats. I still have a HUGH stash of Tamiya colors that are used for small areas and cockpits. The problem I was having with the Vallejo coats (and the Tamiya) was that I was scratching off small areas, even with light handling; nicks and such. So I started using Vallejo primers, primarily their 73.601, grey. Seems to have resolved my problems. And like George, I let all coats set for about 24 hours before handling/masking. But I do do a gentle sink wash prior to builds. The paper towels used for drying off are recycled for cleanups.

Why Vallejo? Much easier cleanup (water). Plus dispensing is simpler and will airbrush spray right out of the bottle (usually).

I have almost exclusively switched over to Vallejo for main coats. I still have a HUGH stash of Tamiya colors that are used for small areas and cockpits. The problem I was having with the Vallejo coats (and the Tamiya) was that I was scratching off small areas, even with light handling; nicks and such. So I started using Vallejo primers, primarily their 73.601, grey. Seems to have resolved my problems. And like George, I let all coats set for about 24 hours before handling/masking. But I do do a gentle sink wash prior to builds. The paper towels used for drying off are recycled for cleanups.

Why Vallejo? Much easier cleanup (water). Plus dispensing is simpler and will airbrush spray right out of the bottle (usually).

I've been using Tamiya primer from a rattle can, and almost all my airbrushing is Vallejo. The Vallejo paints spray very well, and the boxed sets of colors for plane or armor type helps with the cost.

I have good results with Alclad II lacquer primers via an airbrush, no loss of paint from tape etc. aerosol canned primer has no flow control very easy to botch things up in my humble opinion. acryl primer was disastrous for me:oops: I am a new guy here, hope this helps. alclad is affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back