Q: My paint job went okay, but I have some bumps and wrinkles. Is there anything I can do to improve my painted surface?
A: If the surface has very big bumps or wrinkles (even an ugly scar), it might be a good (yet painful) idea to repeat the painting process again. You can sand and/or strip off the existing paint and re-do the paint work. I go through the repeating process so often, now I just expect my first painting attempt to have flaws. ^_^
If the paint job came out okay with minor flaws, of course, we can always improve on that. The best way I found is to polish these flaws out with polishing cloths. I recommend to use various polishing cloths to do the job, but you can also do this by using similar high grade sand paper.
The polishing cloth has a soft padded backing and it allows you to sand and polish gently. Otherwise, it is just same as the regular sand paper. If you are looking for polishing cloths, the LMG polishing kit (micro-mesh) might be your answer. It has everything you need to do the task; it comes with various polishing cloths, polishing compound, swirl remover, and a cotton towel.
The polishing process is a time consuming work and you should not hurry yourself while performing it. This process can be used to repair minor paint mistakes. The process is to start out with a normal grade polishing cloth (use a wooden block or similar to provide a flat polishing surface) and switch to a higher grade polishing cloth as you polish your way up.
Please refer the picture below to see how the polishing process works. I recommend that you do this wet to minimize scarring. Finally, be sure not to use any polishing compound/wax if you are going to apply decal or clear coat later.