primer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guy's

Sorry for being a nusiance :oops:. But what primer should i use.

I have read somewhere ( can't remember where ) that you can use car primer :?:

The kind of a primer depends on the kind of colours you want to use for painting.For instanece, Humbrol/Revell oil enamels don't need to use a primer for them.What is more these enamels can be a primer for acrylic paints that have a bad feature of peeling off with masking tapes.
Those car primers can be used as well , especially these in air cans I mean spray.But I don't suggest using of them without checking its influence on model plastic.Another reason is the pigment grain size. Enamels and paints used for modelling have to had the pigment grain as small as possible in order to get a smooth surfacs without causing a model details fading I mean panel lines etc...
Of course it's up to you if you use a such kind of a primer or not.

What is meant by car primer is Halfords Plastic Primer not the grey stuff used to prime the bodywork. It is formulated for use on the many plastic parts found on modern cars, bumpers, wing mirrors, etc. The older traditional types of paint often do not adhere very well to some of these plastics which is why you need to use HPP on these parts. After that you can spray on normal car touch-up paint. HPP comes in the usual primer grey, red oxide and white colours. It is a very fine primer and you can use both enamels or acrylics for the top coat. As it comes out of the can with some force it is probably better to decant it into a jar and then put it though your airbrush. If it starts to thicken it can be thinned with lacquer thinners. It is my preferred primer and I have never had any problems with it.

There is also a filler primer with is yellow. It will fill tiny scratches from sanding and even reduce deep panel lines. Usually you will sand it after application to get a smooth finish. Useful for getting the prefect finish needed for metallic finishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back