Pulitzer prize photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the first photo posted by Graeme, Ira Hayes is sitting on the far left.
Mike, Ira, Doc Bradley and Franklin are in this photo, but Ira is the only
one I can identify.

Charles

Identifying the Iwo Jima flag raisers

From the left, by color...

red = Private First Class Ira H. Hayes

magenta = Private First Class Franklin R. Sousley

Brown = Sergeant Michael Strank

Aqua = Private First Class Rene A. Gagnon

Green = Pharmacist's Mate Second Class John H. Bradley

Yellow = Corporal Harlon H. Block

Attachments

• 250px-Raising_of_the_flag_-_colored.jpg
    250px-Raising_of_the_flag_-_colored.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 102
This B-26 crashed while returning to Mitchell Air Force Base on November 2 1955. Miraculously no one on the ground was killed or injured. A miracle because it crashed in the middle of the Long Island community of East Meadows, in a street called Barbara Drive. Some of residents saw the plane approaching and were able to gather their children and run in what they hoped would be the right direction. It missed the Meadowbrook Hospital by 500 feet, landing in the front yard of the home of Paul Koroluck. One B-26 motor was deposited on Koroluck's lawn, another was in his doorway. Koroluck was at work at the time and his wife was away with their five-year-old daughter.

It was photographed by George Mattson, a photographer for The New York Daily News, who was in the air at the time and noticed a pillar of smoke in the distance. Approaching closer this is the devastation that he found.

The B-26 pilot and his sergeant died in the crash.

And this one...
AP photographer Eddie Adams won a Pulitzer Prize in 1969 for a photograph showing Lt. Col. Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a prisoner. It was an image that defined Eddie Adams' career.But fame -- instant, enduring and discomforting -- resulted from a single photo taken Feb. 1, 1968, the second day of the communists' Tet Offensive, in the embattled streets of Cholon, Saigon's Chinese quarter.

Drawn by gunfire, Mr. Adams and an NBC film crew watched South Vietnamese soldiers bring a handcuffed Viet Cong captive to a street corner, where they assumed he would be interrogated. Instead, South Vietnam's police chief, Lt. Col. Nguyen Ngoc Loan, strode up, wordlessly drew a pistol and shot the man in the head.

Mr. Adams caught the instant of death in a photo that made front pages worldwide. It would become one of the Vietnam's War's most indelible images, shocking the American public and used by critics to dispute official claims that the war was being won.

In later years, Mr. Adams found himself so defined and haunted by the picture that he would not display it at his studio. He also felt it unfairly maligned Loan, who lived in Virginia after the war and died in 1998.

"Sometimes a picture can be misleading because it does not tell the whole story," Mr. Adams said in an interview for a 1972 AP photo book. "I don't say what he did was right, but he was fighting a war and he was up against some pretty bad people."

Attachments

• eddie_vietnam.jpg
    eddie_vietnam.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 114
Good post Njaco.

He also felt it unfairly maligned Loan, who lived in Virginia after the war and died in 1998.

Adams once visited Loan's restaurant, went to the bathroom, and saw inscribed on the wall "We know who you are."

At the time of the shooting loan walked up to Adams and said "They killed many of my people, and yours, too". Adams comments, "And that's all he said. He just walked away." Loan told Adams that his wife said he was foolish not to confiscate the film. But Loan never criticized Adams for the picture saying that if he hadn't taken it, someone else would have.

Moments before...

and after...

There was also video that I've seen.

And another photographer that couldn't handle the situation to a degree. This affects more than just the camera subjects sometimes. :(

William C. Beall, like Joe Rosenthal, was a combat photographer during World War II. Yet it was years later that he won the Pulitzer Prize for a photograph entirely different from the one of the flag raised on Iwo Jima.

While working for the Washington Daily News, William Beall was assigned to cover the Chinese Merchants Association parade on September 10, 1957. It hardly seemed like the kind of event that would produce the most-applauded photograph ever to appear in the Washington Daily News.

While keeping his eye on the parade, Beall saw a small boy step into the street, attracted by a dancing Chinese lion. A tall young policeman stepped in front of the boy, cautioning him to step back from the busy street.

According to Beall, "I suddenly saw the picture, turned and clicked." The result was a moment of childhood innocence frozen in time.

One bit of info was that Bill Beall was on Iwo Jima at the time the famous flag raising photo was taken and was in the same marine photography outfit as Joe Rosenthal, he just happened to go to the other side of the island that day.

One thing often missed was that the young spit polish policeman went on to become the Chief of Police of Washington DC, Maurice Cullinane.

There is also a statue in front of a courthouse, in Jonesboro, Georgia, honoring policeman that is taken from the photo.

Attachments

• 1958.jpg
    1958.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 68
June 1947. Fifteen year old Ed Bancroft is holding Bill Ronan, of the same age, hostage with a pistol in a Boston alleyway.
Two officers had routinely stopped Bancroft and questioned him about a robbery that had occurred earlier. He immediately pulled out a pistol, shot one of the officers in the arm and fled into a nearby alley, where he grabbed Ronan. Both ends of the alley were quickly blocked off by the police and Bancroft threatened to kill Ronan if they advanced.

'Meanwhile'..Frank Cushing, a photographer for the Boston Herald had managed to position himself in a house, opposite the alley, and take the photo.

While Bancroft was figuring out his next move, a policeman managed to work his way along on the opposite side of the fence. At the right moment, he stood up behind Bancroft, reached over the fence, and stunned him with the butt of his gun. Situation defused.

As it turned out Bancroft had nothing to do with the robbery which the officers had originally questioned him about.

Cushing's photograph was remarkable because at a time when hostage situations were rare, his photograph showed one actually underway. In addition, the limited lens capabilities of the Speed Graphic, the usual camera of the press photographer, meant that cameramen had to be close to their subjects, which is generally not possible in a hostage situation. Cushing's ingenuity and persistence paid off and resulted in an extraordinary picture.

There was also video that I've seen.

I didn't know a film of the event existed, until I read this in Stanley Karnow's book, Vietnam-A History, page 542;

"At the "five o'clock funnies," as correspondents in Saigon called the regular afternoons briefings held in the U.S. information service auditorium, Westmoreland exuded his usual confidence. But his report was smothered the next morning in America's newspapers, whose front pages featured the grisly photograph of Loan executing the Vietcong captive. And the next morning, NBC broadcast its exclusive film of the event-slightly edited, to spare television viewers the spurt of blood coming from the prisoner's head."

The video was extremely graphic. That spurt of blood line was so correct. Nothing like that is neat and clean.

I don't know if the second one did actually won a Pulitzer prize but its a very striking photo and the first one doesn't need any description...

Attachments

• d017219cef7c78835cc9d0f7c1c777f6.jpg
    d017219cef7c78835cc9d0f7c1c777f6.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 186926631.img.jpg
    186926631.img.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 87
I don't know if the second one did actually won a Pulitzer prize but its a very striking photo and the first one doesn't need any description...

I think I read something about this photo occurring days after the surrender and staged for the media... just like the same claims were made about the iwo jima photo.

but it is an iconic photo what ever the case is

I think I read something about this photo occurring days after the surrender and staged for the media... just like the same claims were made about the iwo jima photo.

but it is an iconic photo what ever the case is

It was staged the day after as when they first did it, it was too dark for the camera (or so I have read).

All the same, all the photos in this thread are great and a few are iconic (Iwo Jima/Vietnam execution).

You got that right... I grew up with this man and he taught me everything i need to know about flying.
It was such a lost when he passed away back in 2006 at the age of 92. But i am thankful to have him a member of my family.
I thought i post a another picture for you.
MARKET STREET.JPG
retouchedBWchet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back