Question about Grumman F9F Panther as seen in "Bridges At Toko-Ri"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrSmoothie

Airman
Jan 21, 2019
Lt. Brubaker's F9F as seen in this movie was an actual aircraft and as such well-documented. My question concerns the wing roots -- the inboard section (transition from fuselage to wing) is silver on this squadron's Panthers, and I don't think I've seen any others like this (other than in the movie). Can anybody shed light on this? Was this silver paint applied over the sea blue as a squadron marking? Just for the movie? Or was the sea blue removed to reveal the natural metal, and if so, was this aluminum, stainless or what? Any idea why the silver paint (or removal of blue paint)? There also seem to be some odd closely space lines extending out from the fuselage in the silver areas. The silver area in question was on the top only.

bridges05deckelevator.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-12-13-21h30m02s335_1024x1024.png

Last edited by a moderator:
From "Grumman F9F Part 3 Navy Panthers Korea and Beyond". Caption description, "VF-192 F9F-5s on CVA-34 (USS Oriskany my addition) on 23rd March 1953 with temporary white trim and gold dragons on their noses.". From the narrative,"...It was during this time that the ship and squadrons were the backdrop for the movie "The Bridges of Toko-ri". In fact, Mickey Rooney had taken over duties as honorary skipper of VF-195 whose real CO. LCDR Elliot, was on tour with VF-192. It is VF-192's Panthers that are the featured stars of the movie with William Holden's character, Lt. Brubaker, merely the supporting actor. The squadron also participated in filming "The Men of the Fighting Lady" on the same cruise...."

Last edited:
In the book Planes, Names and Dames Vol II, there is a photo of a 1st Marine Air Wing F9F-2 on the ground at Korea and it has the silver colored leading edges as well.

The recommended way to deal with corrosion on aluminum is to polish it out. And I can tell you from personal experience that the heading edges of the wings are a problem when you have some salt air. Painting the leading edges means that corrosion under the paint can proceeded unobserved.

The strips on the wing along the fuselage are also maintenance walkways... many aircraft had those painted a contrasting color to clearly show where you could, and could not, safely walk without damaging the aircraft.

That walkway paint often included a rubberizing or roughening additive, to provide a non-slip surface.

Sidebar: Jig Dog Ramage of honored memory was CAG-19 when Bridges was filmed. He said the O-boat crew thoroughly enjoyed Mickey Rooney, who performed nightly on the hangar deck, but the sailors would've been more appreciative of some face time with Grace Kelly. Apparently she was never aboard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back