Question for the pilots here

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

Anyone here started to fly in a plane with trycicle landing gear and later flown a tail dragger? I already heard from some people that the adaption is "horrible". What are your views about this?

I did it, and didn't find it 'horrible'.
As long as you were taught what the rudder was for, you shouldn't have too much problem. I think it took me about 5 hours to get comfortable with the landings.

I had most difficulty doing 'wheeler' landings, probably becuase I was taught full-stall landings.

dont know but i am going to find out. i learned on a tricycle gear but bought a tail dragger. i have a friends who are airline pilots so i will get some time with them before attempting it myself solo. i know a lot of guys will just go out and taxi several times and plan to do that for myself. also i do hear it makes a big difference if you are on grass or a hard surface...with the latter supposedly making the plane more "twitchy"?? jenisch you looking to fly a tail dragger or just curious?

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I'm doing the glider course now, and I *think* it's not much different to land in a glider comparaded to a tricycle plane (I have never flown a plane). As for take offs, I think it's more hard in the glider (I only fly with a tow-plane). My mates in the flight school go from gliders to the tail draggers used in the school's private pilot course without any major complaint.

Last edited:
i know a lot of guys will just go out and taxi several times and plan to do that for myself. also i do hear it makes a big difference if you are on grass or a hard surface...with the latter supposedly making the plane more "twitchy"?? jenisch you looking to fly a tail dragger or just curious?

I'd get some professional instruction, rather than just go out and taxi several times. Depending on which aircraft you have, the twitchy bit is usually as you are lowering the tail (minimum airflow over the rudder, but tailwheel not on the ground).

Grass vs. hard surface? Yes, it will be more sensitive on a seal runway - also, if on gravel, watch for the 'crown' of the runway. Landing off the centre-line will make it more difficult.

Then again, you could always have the landing gear rigged with massive 'toe-out' to reduce the tendency to bounce (at the expense of tyre wear!)

I'd get some professional instruction, rather than just go out and taxi several times. Depending on which aircraft you have, the twitchy bit is usually as you are lowering the tail (minimum airflow over the rudder, but tailwheel not on the ground).

for sure! that is what i really meant when i said i have a couple friends who are airline pilots...they are also instructors. one has a cub and the other a stearman. i will get several hours with them shooting landings and take offs before i even attempt jumping off the ground. even after that i will probably still taxi my plane around several times...work up to crow hopping. i have a little light sport with a vw engine. this plane sat for awhile so i am having to go over it from top to bottom. that is my winter project.

jenisch, i never flew a glider but know a guy who works for a glider school and has flown just just about every configuration of landing gear. i will ask him for you...

Last edited:
I got my tail wheel check out several years ago. It wasn't difficult but it also depends on the aircraft. I flew Citibras, a J3 and a super cub, and the latter was the most difficult but enjoyed all 3.

I got my tail wheel check out several years ago. It wasn't difficult but it also depends on the aircraft. I flew Citibras, a J3 and a super cub, and the latter was the most difficult but enjoyed all 3.

They're a whole heap of fun to fly. Funnily enough, I think the super-cub has been the easiest of the three types I've flown (but I guess its all relative). What made to Super cub more difficult?

They're a whole heap of fun to fly. Funnily enough, I think the super-cub has been the easiest of the three types I've flown (but I guess its all relative). What made to Super cub more difficult?
I flew 180 horse cubs, very "torquey" and where I was flying out of a lot of gusty winds. It seemed like the Super Cun needed more attention than the other two. Also have some time in a Cessna 180. I fould that real easy to land, but I did fly it on a calm day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back