Quotes and Jokes (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saw a Youtube video about a Tu-154 that suffered a total electrical failure over the trackless forests of Siberia. They used a glass of water as an attitude indciator....
I once had a student who claimed her sense of balance was so good she could keep the airplane righside up with no attitude reference. So one hazy gray featureless day we went up with a plastic bottle half full of drinking water taped upright to the instrument panel. I put soap stickers over all three gyro instruments and the altimeter, and she put the hood on and told me she would let me know when the plane departed straight and level flight. I eased in a little very gentle left rudder pressure and the plane very gradually eased into a spiral to the left. As the bank angle gradually increased the nose crept below the horizon and the airspeed gradually crept upward. As it did, I smoothly eased the throttle back to keep the engine and prop noise constant. As the bank angle approached sixty degrees and the Gs approached two she said: "You've pulled us into a climb, you tricky bastard!" By this time the nose was well below the horizon, the airspeed had increased by fifteen knots, but I had kept the RPM constant by gradually reducing throttle, and the water in her bottle still indicated straight and level.
At that point I said "Raise your hood, it's your airplane", while bracing my arms to prevent her pulling too hard on the yoke. She showed good airmanship by smoothly rolling wings level, pulling the nose up, going to climb power and pointing us back at the airport, AND THEN giving me what-for.
"There, you slimy bastard! Aviate, navigate, communicate; now it's my turn!", whereupon she ripped the water bottle off the instrument panel, beat me over the head with it, then dumped its contents all over my shirt, laughing her ass off. "When we get back, I'm gonna buy you beers til you fall down. Hubby'll come get me, but you'll be stuck there, 'n you're gonna need that sleeping bag you keep in the ground school closet! Good thing tomorrow's your day off, 'cause you won't be airworthy!"
She went on to a lucrative airline career and retired quite wealthy, spunky sense of humor unabated. One of my more satisfying success stories.

Last edited:
People do not realize that airplanes "make their own gravity" in turns. The water will always be level in coordinated turns and in uncoordinated turns it'll likely be splashing all over the place. There are the effects of slosh even in uncoordinated turns but they are unlikely to be noticeable when using small containers. That is why all airplanes do not need inverted oil and fuel systems to simply fly around.

In a group I correspond with by e-mail about mainly non-flying matters, someone said that the P-51 was great but that the Spitfire less great because its engine did not allow inverted flight, "thereby making the airplane less maneuverable, an important consideration in combat." I replied that inverted flight was useless in combat and airplanes equipped with inverted oil and fuel systems were limited to acro demo aircraft. The P-40, P-51, F-86, etc. are limited to 10 sec inverted flight. That brought a firestorm of controversy, saying airplanes had to have the ability to fly upside down, one guy even saying that that you can see films of BF-109's firing at US bombers while inverted. I explained that those 109's were not really inverted but diving through and away from the formation in a Split-S or Immelman and had positive G's the whole time; they said that was absurd. And for some reason added that the Sake engine of the Zero was a scaled down R-1830 (in reality it was based on a 1710 Cu In 1938 French engine).

Bob Hoover had a routine where he make of video of doing a barrel roll in his Shrike, all while pouring himself a glass of ice tea.

The term "Whisky Compass" was not because they used whisky bottles for an attitude reference but rather that the alcohol in the liquid-filled compasses became a abverage when they were down on their luck.

I replied that inverted flight was useless in combat and airplanes equipped with inverted oil and fuel systems were limited to acro demo aircraft.
Bob Hoover had a routine where he make of video of doing a barrel roll in his Shrike, all while pouring himself a glass of ice tea.
Welcome to the Flat Earth Society! The pigheadedness of upright, one G, sedentary aviation X-spurts knows no bounds. You should capture the image of the armchair aviator wings flyboyJ uses and share it with your deserving friends.

I replied that inverted flight was useless in combat and airplanes equipped with inverted oil and fuel systems were limited to acro demo aircraft. The P-40, P-51, F-86, etc. are limited to 10 sec inverted flight.
The lack of an inverted system was the reason the spitfire had to roll inverted and pull, rather than simply pushing into a dive, so the lack of the inverted system did affect their maneuvers.
That is why the P-51 et al only need 10 sec of negative G capability - it allows them to 'push' the aircraft over. There was no way that they needed sustained inverted flight capability.
There is a difference between inverted flight and negative G.

Engines with gravity fed carburetors can't do negative G pushes, because that would interfere with the fuel flow. This is not an issue with fuel injected engines.
Flying inverted (a negative G maneuver) for more than a few seconds causes the oil in the crankcase to drain into the upper portion of the engine, creating a dry sump and the overspeed and damage to the oil pump.

That is why the P-51 et al only need 10 sec of negative G capability - it allows them to 'push' the aircraft over. There was no way that they needed sustained inverted flight capability.
Our club T34B was designed to sustain 90 seconds of inverted flight due to its pressure injection carb and its "clunk type" fuel and oil header tanks. NATOPS said 90 seconds. FAA certificated Airplane Flight Manual said 30. My own inverted endurance was closer to the P51 et al than the FAA AFM.

Yeah, but it can't fly inverted; you said so yourself! So you roll inverted 'cause you can't fly inverted? What kind of bullshit is that??
The lack of an inverted system was the reason the spitfire had to roll inverted and pull, rather than simply pushing into a dive, so the lack of the inverted system did affect their maneuvers.
I had a discussion about this a while ago but I cant remember who with. Bob Doe thought he would be washed out of training because he hated flying inverted but I assumed the Spitfire/Hurricane couldnt fly inverted because of the problem in the BoB. I was told that they could for a certain period but what they couldnt do was bunt over into a dive, flying inverted is 1G but bunting over is more and the extra Gs flooded the carb/engine. So they half rolled and dived then rolled again maintaining +G.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread