RAAF 22 SQN query

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

scandyflick

Airman
Jan 25, 2010
Manila, Philippines
hi gents,

have been surfing the web for info regarding the Mk.21 beaufighters of RAAF 22 SQN.

information is conflicting regarding its posting to a certain field called, "sangi sangi" or "sanga sanga" and as to the location of said field... one is supposed to be in the philippines and the other in borneo(?).

can anyone confirm which exact field this unit operated from? if it is confirmed that they operated from sanga sanga (an airfield in tawi-tawi in the southern philippines), this would be great news!!!

i am planning to do a simple model <from the tamiya Mk.x> of one of their beaus.

will continue to trawl the net for info as well.

thanks in advance!

scandy from the phils

Hi Scandy

Welcome to the forum.

Tawi Tawi is the correct island. It is part of the Philippines Archipelago. I've seen the strip called both names.

I've just finished up a DAP Beaufighter for the Heavy Hitters Group Build on this site. Any ideas on which plane you are going to do?

Theres also more than a few reference photos in the pictures section on here, so lot's of help available.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
G'day Scandy, welcome aboard.
22 squadron did have a detachment at Sanga Sanga where they flew strikes in support of the OBOE operations. This was brought about because the airfield at Tarakan was not ready in time for the squadron to operate from. I also believe 30 sqn (Beaufighters) were also stationed at Sanga Sanga for a short period.

Attachments

• 22sqnRAAF1.jpg
    22sqnRAAF1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 447
thanks for the quick reply gents.

likely will be doing DU-H <a8-??>or DU-K <a8-55>.

have some 24" RAF codes in the stash. my question is this... were the codes white, sky or gray?

hmmm....

again thanks and btw ozhawk... pretty beau. cheers!

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply gents.

likely will be doing DU-H <a8-??>or DU-K <a8-55>.

have some 24" RAF codes in the stash. my question is this... were the codes white, sky or gray?

hmmm....

again thanks and btw ozhawk... pretty beau. cheers!

DU-H is A8-50. According to a profile in Wilson's "Beaufort, Beaufighter and Mosquito in Australian service" the squadron codes should be white with pale grey serials. He also claims the spinner is red which differs for the profile below. Note the red, white and blue rudder trim tab. HTH

Attachments

• 22sqnRAAF.gif
    22sqnRAAF.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 22sqnRAAF2.jpg
    22sqnRAAF2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 288
Good work Andy

DU-K A8-55 was written off at Sanga Sanga when it swung on take off when the starboard engine faltered. It took out three 76 squadron Kittyhawks A29-1112, A29-1119, and A29-1129. A photographer was around to catch the action. Crew survived fortunately. Photos are from AWM and Aviation Heritage Museum of WA.

Another option is DU-I. The marking appeared in Aeromaster decals sheet 48-340 for A8-186 "Beau-gunsville"
(That's the aircraft currently in Camden)

Cheers

Attachments

• Sangi Sangi Philippines 1945 A Beaufighter of No 22 Squadron RAAF serial A8-55 (DV-K) belches b.jpeg
    Sangi Sangi Philippines 1945 A Beaufighter of No 22 Squadron RAAF serial A8-55 (DV-K) belches b.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Sangi Sangi Philippines 1945 The engine which has been torn off a Kittyhawk aircraft as a resul.jpeg
    Sangi Sangi Philippines 1945 The engine which has been torn off a Kittyhawk aircraft as a resul.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P020530 resize.jpg
    P020530 resize.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 285
  • P020534 - resize.jpg
    P020534 - resize.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 277

Users who are viewing this thread

Back