RAAF's P-40 Kittyhawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello, Aussie friends! Need a little help from ya. I have just purchased this 1:72 Corgi diecast of a RAAF's P-40 Kittyhawk. The historical info from the manufacturer was not very detailed. Since I don't have any good books on RAAF's WWII airplanes, I have searched the net and tried to find some acurate info on this specific aircraft. All I found so far is this--

Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk IA
Flt/Lt? Leslie Douglas Jackson (5 vitories)
(A29-9) RAAF No 75th Sqdn,
Port Moresby? Milne Bay?, Papua New Guine, april/1942

I'm still not sure about the place it was based (Port Moresby or Milne Bay); also Les' rank (when piloting this plane) appears sometimes as a commander of the 75th, sometimes as Fl. Lieutnant. I appreciate any help from you guys.

I also wanna take advantage and say I feel very sorry for all difficult times you guys have been facing in Australia after that immense flood and now with this strong typhoon. Recently, we also had a terrible catastrophe here in Brazil after strong thunderstorms and landslides in Rio state.

Attachments

• P40.jpg
    P40.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 822
Hi Aramis. A29-9 saw combat during the defence of Port Moresby in early 1942, a time when 75 sqn was the only fighter squadron in the entire New Guinea area.
A29-9 was shot down on 6 April '42 when being flown by F/L Les Jackson, however this aircraft was coded "N".
Aircraft "I" was A29-8 which was shot down on 28 April 42 over Port Moresby killing the CO, S/Ldr John Jackson. These two men were brothers and to add to the confusion, when John was killed, Les took over as the squadron CO.
PS, good to see you made it through the flooding OK!

Thank you very much, guys... very useful info. Too bad to see again an unaccuracy in one of my diecasts. I don't understand how worldwide famous manufacturers like Corgi can make so many mistakes in models that are sold as historically accurate.

Hello, guys... just one more question relating this P-40E. Is it possible that this airplane as much as others of the 75th (and 76) sqn were the same P-40s that the Americans of the FEAF deployed to Australia after been defeated in Davao and Luzon, in The Philippines, during the Dec.'41 attacks? As far as I know, the P-40s used in The Philippines were type B. But, as there were about 40 remaining after the destruction by the Japs, I wonder if any of those have composed any Aussie squadron later in the begining of 42.

Australia was to operate 848 P-40 E,K,M and N models delivered between March42 and Feb 45 the first 25 A29-1 to 25 were diverted from an RAF lend lease order to the USAAF in Australia to the RAAF to form 75 Sqn in Mar 42 ,another 50 were also delivered that month enabeling the RAAF to form 2 more P-40 Sqn's 76 and 77 at a very critical time of the war, eventualy the RAAF was to operate 8 P-40 sqn's in the Pacific. The 40 left over P-40s for US ops in the Philippines and Java stayed with US units , these a/c were new build a/c assembled at Amberley and never actualy made it out out of Australia as the Philippines and NEI were lost before they could leave, I believe no US fighters were saved from either theatre.

On the question of model accuracy, Corgi are quite good on some models and highly inaccurate in others they do a P-40 F in red and Black US colours in North Africa the paint scheme is good but they use a P-40E as the base and the do a RAAF P-40N "Hep Cat" in the colours of Sqn Ldr Clive Tolhurst, Morotai 1945 but once again use a P-40E as the Base, big differance between a P-40E and a N, very dissapointing Corgi!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back