RAF Elvington - A Pictorial Tour.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy and Hugh. Just sorting the next lot, including some Karl sent me, taken before we arrived - without the rain!
I'll post the next selection later tonight.

Thanks very much Aaron, and you are more than welcome.
The next short batch is a mixture of shots by Karl and myself. Karl arrived at the Museum about an hour before Mick, Jan and myself, before the rain started to persist down, so those shots where it appears more or less dry, are Karl's!
PICS 1 and 2. Another subject I'll try to re-shoot in two weeks time, the Waco 'Hadrian' (CG-4A) glider. One fuselage wall is Perspex, allowing a view of the interior, where a pak-howitzer is carried as cargo. Unfortunately, due to the huddled parking, it wasn't possible to obtain the right angle to photograph the interior. The aircraft partly visible in the background is an Auster AOP6.
PICS 3 and 4. One of mine, one of Karl's - the Armstrong - Whitworth Meteor NF14 (night fighter), awaiting further restoration.
PICS 5 and 6. The very convincing Hurricane replica, here shown on its handling trolley, which allow the aircraft to be moved around easily, using less 'man power', and without stressing the undercarriage components.
Thanks again for your continued interest - lots more to come, including the Bomber Command exhibition and the restored Watch Office (Control Tower).

Attachments

• Elvington 064.jpg
    Elvington 064.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Elvington 067.jpg
    Elvington 067.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 101
  • Elvington 278.jpg
    Elvington 278.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Elvington 292.jpg
    Elvington 292.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Elv Meteor.JPG
    Elv Meteor.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Elv Hurri.JPG
    Elv Hurri.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 102
Really enjoying the tour Terry. That's got to be one of the most unattractive radar installations I've ever seen on that Meteor's nose . They sure made an elegant aircraft ugly.

Great shots guys, what would we colonials do without you. Never realised the air intake of the Meteor was so large or is it the angle/lens of the shot.

Thanks chaps. The meteor NF14 is by no means an attractive bird, but does look better when a) clean and tidy, and b) airborne - much cleaner-looking lines then. Yes Vic, the air intakes are quite large, although the nacelles in this case are empty. Lack of engine shock-cones makes the intakes look even bigger.
Next batch will feature some of the restored, internal exhibits, as looking at these pics makes me remember that horrendous rain - so indoor pics next.

The Control Tower, or Watch Office as it was known in the RAF at that time (the American term 'Control Tower' didn't really come into general use until post war), is a real gem of restoration, taking visitors back to a time when so many things were very different, and very basic (note the very Spartan conditions and heating arrangements, and the ash trays etc!). it really does reinforce what we take for granted today !
This building was totally overgrown and virtually derelict, and is now a credit to the volunteers who worked hard to reclaim it, and scoured the country for authentic fittings.
PICS 1 and 2. The Tower from front and rear, with the signal square and flagstaff, the latter also used for signal systems, using 'balls'. During opening hours, the RAF Standard flies from the yard arm, and is lowered and stored each day at 'Last Parade' (closing time).
The following shots are just a sample of what is on display inside.
PIC 3. On the ground floor, this is the teleprinter room, where all signals notifying 'Ops' would be recieved, encoded.
PIC 4. Next door is the Operations switchboard, authentically recreated.
PICS 5 and 6. The main room at the front of the ground floor houses the Met Office and Ops room.
PICS 7 to 10. The upper floor, and the main front room, with some of the sections of Flying Control.
The rooms are easy to view, although Perspex screens prevent full access, and a recorded commentary can be played, describing the activities and role of the various offices etc.
Even spending just a short time here, there are many small, authentic details which can be seen, which really brings the place to life.
Thanks again for your interest, and I'm pleased to know that you are enjoying the tour - more soon.

Attachments

• Elvington 274.jpg
    Elvington 274.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Elvington 167.jpg
    Elvington 167.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Elvington 211.jpg
    Elvington 211.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Elvington 203.jpg
    Elvington 203.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Elvington 208.jpg
    Elvington 208.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Elvington 206.jpg
    Elvington 206.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 88
  • Elvington 220.jpg
    Elvington 220.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Elvington 222.jpg
    Elvington 222.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Elvington 224.jpg
    Elvington 224.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Elvington 226.jpg
    Elvington 226.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 93
Yep, checking out that WAAF! :)

Great shots Terry. Interesting to see the surroundings my grandmother would have worked in.

Thanks chaps, and Aaron, I must be going blind! I noticed the reflection on the Perspex, but until you mentioned it, I hadn't even seen that it's Karl's face! Spooky - like a ghost looking in to the room!
More soon, and less than two weeks to go until the next visit - with no sign of the bl**dy weather improving!

Oops! Double post.
Re that reflection - it looks like the WAAF has a shocked expression on her face, seeing a huge, disembodied head floating in front of her !!
Could have some fun with this shot on one of those 'Ghost hunter' type websites !!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back