RAF Elvington - A Pictorial Tour. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh. I've just had a play around with that 'ghost' shot ......

Attachments

• Elv ghost.jpg
    Elv ghost.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 127
Great photos Terry.My favorite one is on the first page. Though it's too far away to be sure, it looks like the three of you waiting for church to open to beg forgiveness for that which you are about commit.

Geo

It's OK chaps, I'm buying Karl a new mirror for his Birthday!

Anyway, on with the tour, and a brief look at part of the Bomber Command exhibition.
PIC 1. The entrance to the Exhibition, in the original Briefing Room building.
PIC 2. The same building in 1943, with crews boarding the transport which will take them to the dispersals.
PICS 3 and 4. The large wall frescos in part of the exhibition, providing some sobering facts and figures.
PIC 5. A general view of some of the interesting artefacts in the '77 Squadron' room. This Squadron, equipped with Halifax bombers, was stationed at Elvington before moving to Full Sutton in 1944. The Squadron suffered heavy losses attacking targets in Germany, particularly 'The Big City' - Berlin - and by the end of the war in Europe, had lost almost 80 aircraft, with over five hundred aircrew either killed, MIA or PoW.
PIC 6. At an Elvington dispersal in late 1943, is Halifax DT807 of 77 Sqn, coded KN-R. Everday life continues, with the farm labourers gathering the hay harvest.
PIC 7. A WW2 search light, typical of those used in batteries to 'cone' an unfortunate bomber.
PIC 8. This huge photo-mural shows the devastation in the centre of Hannover, following night raids by Bomber Command, and day light attacks by 8th USAAF.
PIC 9. A close up of the rear gun turret from a Lancaster.
PIC 10. Karl (the real one, not the ghost!) gives some scale to this huge Halifax main wheel.
PIC 11. Typical RAF bomb trolley. The bombs were wedged on the trolley with wooden blocks, and would have the release shackles fitted before being winched into the bomb bay.
PIC 12. This is a 'Goose neck' flare, used to mark the edge of the runway. It's basically a can filed with lamp oil, with a wick in the 'spout', which was lit to provide a flickering flame. Lines of these were placed on either side of the entire length of the runway, to provide rudimentary runway lighting for those airfields without electric lights, which was the case in the majority of wartime stations. They were also used as a back-up if the power failed on properly equipped stations.
Seeing some of these exhibits really emphasises what operational conditions must have been like 70 years ago, with personnel and equipment having to contend with all sorts of privations, from atrocious weather, to very basic facilities. With so many airfields grouped so close, and in many cases with virtually overlapping circuits, it's little wonder there were so many losses due to causes other than enemy action.
Thanks again for your continued interest, and I'll post further photos of this unique museum soon.

Attachments

• Elvington 232.jpg
    Elvington 232.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Elvington 294.jpg
    Elvington 294.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Elvington 189.jpg
    Elvington 189.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Elvington 171.jpg
    Elvington 171.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 102
  • Elvington 179.jpg
    Elvington 179.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Elvington 295.jpg
    Elvington 295.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Elvington 172.jpg
    Elvington 172.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Elvington 199.jpg
    Elvington 199.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Elvington 173.jpg
    Elvington 173.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Elvington 169.jpg
    Elvington 169.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Elvington 191.jpg
    Elvington 191.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Elvington 177.jpg
    Elvington 177.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 113
I disagree Andy - the markings and tread pattern definitely indicate the Mk.1 A1 front wheel of a 1965 Vespa Moped... :)

Great shots again Terry, I like the 'then and now' comparison of the briefing room especially.
Interesting too the similarity between the Haifax wheel and those of the Lanc. Same manufacturer?

Great shots Terry. Really appreciate the effort to put all this together. Looks like it was a well worth visit despite the weather. Incidentally, I'm currently building a Nissen hut -1941/42 period. Do you know, or does anybody else know, what would be a reasonable colour for the interior? Humbrol 90 Beige Green or Humbrol 30 Dark Green (same as exterior), or something else?

Thanks guys, more soon.
Interior colour of the Nissen hut could depend on whether it was lined or not - most usually the latter. The colour was normally a light grey or cream, but could vary, and also depended on what use the building was being put to. They were often un-painted, being left in the original very dark grey factory coating.
When used as offices or as Officer's or Sergeants Mess, they were often lined with fibre board, and again painted cream, sometimes the 'institutional' colour scheme of green bottom half of wall, cream top.
I'll be posting pics later showing typical airmens accommodation, which might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back