RAF London Pictures - January 2016

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tracing how the layout of Hendon went against the housing estate at ground level is very hard as there's no sign or any vestiges of the old airfield anywhere on site, apart from Aerodrome Road, which borders with the Met Police training yard, and the railway line at the museum's boundary.

Here's an aerial view of RAFM Hendon, taken in the 1980s, when the Beverley was still in one piece.
Photo from a recent RAFM newsletter.

London_Aerial_View.jpg

That's a neat picture, Terry. The buildings to the middle left were still MoD at that time; the ones that survive are offices for curatorial departments now. There are albums full of photos of the Beverley and its scrapping. I got the lowdown on what happened regarding it and have spent a bit of time defending the museum's stance, since it gets the blame for its demise. The museum didn't want it to be scrapped, but the RAF refused to relent and did so anyway.

It's a shame it had to go, but I suppose if 'The Top' says break it, then that's it.
At least I got to see Beverleys in the air, as a teenager, and took shelter in the huge hold of one, during a downpour at the BoB show at Acklington, back in the late 1960's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back