RAF Markings and Camouflage (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan and Cory. I'll save that page to use as reference for 'possibles'.
Still haven't decided what bird to go for yet!

Attachments

• Whirlwind.jpg
    Whirlwind.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 747
Hi Alex. I haven't been able to find anything definite on the particular aircraft you posted the pic of. But you are right, only two Squadrons used the Whirlwind, 263 Squadron and 137 squadron, and the squadron codes for 263 were HE. (Those for 237 were SF).
The Whirlwind displayed the codes in a (slightly) unusual way, with the individual letter forward of the RAF roundel on the port side, the opposite to standard practice. I've only been able to find the following individual codes and serial numbers for 263 Squadron so far;
H-HE serial No. P7011
L-HE serial No. P7062
V-HE serial No. P6969
Pictures of 'L' and 'V' do not show the shark's mouth marking, 'H' is unknown.
If I find anything further, I'll let you know.
Terry.

I'm involved in the restoration of Spitfire NH749, an FR Mk.XIVe. I read this post regarding the colour of the crowbar and the various placement of the stencils inside the door. VERY interesting!! I P.M.'d Antoni to ask the source of this info but recieved a very short reply sending me to the Key Publishing website which really doesn't have a functional search capability. With reference to the comment above saying that different factories applied the stencils differently, our aircraft was assembled at Aldermaston in early 1945. Do you have any thoughts as to how we should finish our cockpit door? We want this aircraft to be as authentic as possible, especially this very publicly visible item!
Also, we've been going crazy trying to find proper direction regarding handling and servicing stencils and also the correct colour for engine instrument bezels.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Profiler---------these are the standard stencils for Mks.I--upwards.All black (night) unless shown. I'm pretty sure the 100 octane one on cowling top was red not blue.
Nick

Attachments

• spitfire-stencils.jpg
    spitfire-stencils.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 969
Airframes........you were querying the RN Corsairs with Pacific Fleet markings; they certainly saw service with Task Force 57 alongside the US Navy hence the American-style national markings.
They were on the 4 fleet carriers along with Avengers, Seafires and Barracudas.
In fact the last VC of the war was awarded to Lt. R H Gray (Canadian) from 1841 Sqn. on "Formidable" on 9 Aug. 1945; his Corsair IV KD658 was marked " 115--X " and was Glossy Sea Blue o/a.
The Corsair with the European -style roundels was in a training squadron so kert the earlier markings. Very late in the Pacific war some RN planes reverted to these olderstyles retaining the red sections.
The NZ ones as mentioned above were in the SWPA and had bars added to the cockades for conformity.

Nick

Thanks very much Nick. Since posting that question, I've done a lot more research on what, to me, is a little known subject! Haven't really touched much on Naval aircraft subjects in the past!
So far though, it looks like I won't be doing a Corsair for the Group Build - too many other writing, photographic, painting and modelling things on the go!
Thanks again,
Terry.

I've now got two RAf models to do , Hasegawa's 1/48th Typhoon IB and Tamiya's 1/48th RAF Mustang III.

So three tins of paint should cover the lot!!

Should be easy to match to the correct colour, not like the Luftwaffe with all those varieties!

I would be glad to here the Medium Sea Gray/Ocean Gray/Dark Green combinations that every one uses.

Tamiya seem to be producing a range of more accurate acrylics BUT ONLY IN SPRAY CANS!!!!

Not sure if this has been posted or how accurate it is buhttp://www.clubhyper.com/reference/colourcharts

/Digital%20RAF%20WW2%20Colours.pdft this is a digital interpretation of RAF colours

First of all the link is written incorrectly I'm afraid. If you want to put a link into your post , copy it from the top bar of your net browser.Then paste it into your post like this for instance :

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/colourcharts/Digital RAF WW2 Colours.pdf

Secondly, you shouldn't follow samples that are available via the net.In many cases their tonalities are really different from samples of paints you need.It is better to use Federal Standard ( FS) numbers and then match the correct ones.Most of firms offers paints that are of the autentic tonalities.So using the FS nimbers and the paint correct name you will find what you want.If you don't want to use these Tamiya colours you can use others.Please have a look at the modelling section whare you can find many threads about paintings and colours. Let me know about your choice of the firm for paints and I'll check then these correct numbers.

That would be me. It is my pleasure to help out with RNZAF schemes. However we dont alwats have all the info we need, hence signing up to the forum. The members are a gold mine of info.

Barf

That's true, it's an extremely rare ocurrence that no-one is able to help, no matter what the subject.

Would you be able to fill us in on the museum's restorations from time to time? I reckon quite a few of us would be interested!

Cheers, Evan

Hi Barf. Far as I know, the late-war period Oxfords were painted in the same scheme as earlier - Dark Green/Dark Earth/ Yellow, although it's possible that some might have been re-sprayed overall silver. I'm looking to see if I have any pics from the period, other than the RAF Museum's restored example. If I find any, I'll post them here.

We have the official Airspeed drawings for the early war scheme where the yellow comes up to the bottom of the cabin windows, we think that by 1945 they had done away with this and just the underside was yellow. Thge trick is to find a dated photo to comfirm this.
Barf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back