RAF/RAAF/Flying Tigers: overboosting of the V-1710

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Hello,

I'm trying to find out more about the early overboosting of the V-1710s in the Allied service. One of the documents can be found at the Peril's P-40 web site, dated late 1942 (here). The excerpt from the Williams site (here) states, about the Mustang I:
33. This aircraft is powered with the Allison 1710-39 engine having a rated power of 1150 H.P. at 3000 R.P.M. and 44" Hg. at 12,000 ft. The engine was originally equipped with an automatic boost control limiting the manifold pressure at the lower altitudes to 44". The British remove this so as to get the vastly increased performance at lower altitudes thru the judicious use of over-boost.
The Flying Tigers were also using overboosted engines, from 58" up to 62" Hg is claimed by the crew chief Frank Losonsky (in the Vees for Victory book).

Still there is many blanks left to fill, like the RAF CW use of the early P-40s in the N. Africa. Any further info is welcomed.

I'd like to know if over boosting was also used in December 1941 and early 1942 PI campaign as well as in the defense of Java by the 17th Pursuit Squadron (Provisional) and later of Darwin by the 49th Fighter Group. Based on the date of the Allison division letter (12, December 1942) I suspect over-boost wasn't used extensively early-on duee to the uncertainty in logistical support. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back