Rafale squadron on USS Truman

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
French Naval Squadrons practiced on US Navy carriers because the Charles de Gaulle (R91) was being refitted and is the only serving French aircraft carrier.

Sunny

Attachments

• video-5.avi
    8.8 MB · Views: 137
The french sure build some pretty planes. Wonder why they can't sell them overseas. I just read that India has rejected the Rafale for their fight competition.

The Rafale has performed "touch and Go's" on the USS Stennis, Eisenhower, and now the Truman. USN F-18s have done the same with the French carrier Charles de Gaulle. It's all part of an exercise designed to have NATO aircraft and pilots familiarize themselves with other country's carriers. As far as I know, only French and US carriers utilize the CATOBAR system, though the Brazilian Sae Paolo ( ex-French Foch) also has it. The future UK carrier will also have CATOBAR.

Matt - The biggest obstacle to Rafale sales is it's high price tag. Though Dassault Aviation has improved it's sales pitch over the past few years, an impasse was reached with the Indians on two issues: 1- India wanted much more technology transfer than France would have liked, and 2- India insisted the deal include France buying back old Mirage aircraft.

Right now, Switzerland and Oman seem to be two possible buyers. I hope the Swiss buy it.

I think you are right on. It also included indigenous manufacturing of either kit parts or wholesale. India, China, Brazil and other fighter markets are only willing to buy if they can develop their own fighter manufacturing basis.

No different than F-35 Tier I, Tier II and Tier II participants. ;)

Yeah the guy who got a bolter was probably really pissed of at himself, dontcha think.

But then again, imagine the self imposed pressure on the US pilots. They missed a few traps too! :toothy5:

I thought maybe they were doing touch and goes. Good point PB about the dry ship, although there may have been a taste or two available in a clandestine manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back